Smooth Shiny Buttercream

Baking By crl Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm by crl

crl Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 8

Can someone tell me how I get the sheen I see on some of the buttercreams? Outside of making a big batch of Sugarshack's icing (I don't need that much), is there something I can add to a recipe to make the buttercream smooth. I find lately that when I try to ice my cupcakes, the icing is cracked and not so easy to pipe. I have been using Inydebi's recipe.

7 replies
crl Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone have any helpful hints?

2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 8

What are you using for your smaller batches?

patticakesnc Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 8

I use a recipe that uses powdered sugar, meringue powder, shortening, butter (can use all shortening if you like), water and corn syrup.

Is there anything here you are not using? Mine is always shiney.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 8

You may also need to check if you are using transfat free shortening - alot of people have problems with that. I use the grocery store brand as it still has transfats.

crl Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 8

Patticakesnc - I have been using Indydebi's recipe that calls for Crisco, milk, powdered Dream Whip, vanilla and powdered sugar. Can you share your recipe? Does is hold up in hot weather?

patticakesnc Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 8

I use Ednas recipe. I love it. It does hold up pretty well. I delivered several cakes and one she met me to get it last Friday. They drove an hour with no air and it was 90 degrees outside. Said that it held up well on the ride.

Here is the info.

crl Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you--I will give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%