Help!! I Need To Make Ballet Slippers

Decorating By cakeychick Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm by poohsmomma

cakeychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeychick Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 7

and I just can't get it to work right. icon_cry.gif I'm fairly new to this, so bear with me. A friend asked me to bake a ballerina cake for his daughter's 3rd birthday. I still have some time, but thought I'd practice making the shoes she chose as a topper. Good thing I'm practicing because I just can't get it right! I'm trying to use gum paste, but don't really know how to go from there. I think I've tried about 4 or 5 times in the last few days and each time it looks worse and worse. I think I just need some guidance from the CC pros!

6 replies
kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 7

I have very little experience with gum paste (just started playing with it in the last couple of days) but I'm experiencing issues with it drying out too fast and cracking. I've been reading up a little bit around here and it seems like it may be easier to work with if its 50/50 of fondant and gumpaste. hopefully this helps you, or at least gets you a BUMP!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 7

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-628609-ballet.html Here's a thread with a template for the slippers

cakeychick Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you thank you thank you !!!!!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 7

I'm not a pro, but I made some for a birthday cake about a month ago. I found the template on this site and sized it to fit my cake. I used a 50/50 fondant and gumpaste blend. This gave me a little more time to work with them. I stuffed them with crumpled up plastic wrap while they dried. I used royal icing to "glue" some real ribbon on them.
If you want to see them, they're on the top of the pink and green tiered cake (Ayva's Ballerina Cake) in my photos-there's a close-up in one of the additional photos.)
Hope this helps, and good luck.

cakeychick Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you poohsmomma! I plan on trying again tonight to see how it goes. I printed off the template and checked out your picture. I love that cake! As a matter of fact, it was already in my favorites.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, cakeychick, for the nice words....made my day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%