Fondant Cut Outs...help!

Decorating By make8believe Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm by ahuvas

make8believe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
make8believe Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 5

can anyone tell me the best way to attach fondant cutouts to a fondant covered cake? i know how to apply them, but when i lifted the circles off of the table, they stretched and lost their shape. should i let them dry first?

4 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 5

You do need to let them dry a bit before lifting them. I had to use a spatula once to lift cutouts because of a time rush - they still stretched slightly. I used a very small dab of water to attach them to the cake, just a very light brushing - too much water will allow them to slide. If you use icing - it will cause bumps under your circles.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 5

Not dry completly - but 10 mins or so usually helps them - instead of picking them up with your fingers - slide you knive (or metal icing spatula) under it - then transfer to your fingers ..

HTH!! Good Luck!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 5

BTW - I just realized this is your first post - Welcome to CC

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 5

You should dry it too much because it will crack when you apply it to the side of the cake but a few minutes should help.

Make sure your surface is prepared properly with cornstarch/cornstarch or whatever you use.

I find it helps me if I do the cut outs on a zip lock bag which doesnt need any crisco or cornstarch. I then pull the bag to the edge of a table and pull down one edge as you hold the other end with your hand (to stop the whole thing flying off the edge). as you pull the zip lock down it should pull away from the shape. Sorry its hard to explain so I hope you understand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%