Gumpaste Issues Please Help.

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 2:29pm by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 9

when I am rolling (into strings) out my gumpaste, its starts to just roll apart, it kinda starts seperating. like sheets of paper.

I need it rolled pretty thin. like thin little spagettis. not that thin, but.

also, when it dries, its not smooth and nice. and that shows up when you paint it. there are some stress marks, not things I did like fingernail nicks, but marks that are from it kinda seperating. and some cracks.

I use crisco on my hands, what else can I do?

I know when I paint this its gona look like crap.

8 replies
mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 9

I would like to know this too. Crisco breaks down fondant that could be it? Have you tried 50/50 combo of gumpaste and fondant. Its supposed to be stronger than just gumpaste.

What are you making?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 9

It sounds like you need to knead some shortning into the gumpaste. To get mine really smooth and nice, I just knead a small amount of shortning and keep working it until it is perfectly smooth before rolling it out.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebyerly

when I am rolling (into strings) out my gumpaste, its starts to just roll apart, it kinda starts seperating. like sheets of paper.

I need it rolled pretty thin. like thin little spagettis. not that thin, but.

also, when it dries, its not smooth and nice. and that shows up when you paint it. there are some stress marks, not things I did like fingernail nicks, but marks that are from it kinda seperating. and some cracks.

I use crisco on my hands, what else can I do?

I know when I paint this its gona look like crap.

What recipe are you using for your gumpaste? Knead it very well and warm your gumpaste up before rolling it out. Use crisco on your hands, thin layer, as you knead.

Something sounds fishy with your gumpaste. I'd try a new batch or buy some ready made so that you know what the right texture should be when you make your own.

Gumpaste dries harder than the 50/50 mix. I'd only use it for things that don't need to be stiff.

Hope that helps. thumbs_up.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:33am
post #5 of 9

sorry, I lost this topic and couldnt find it.

I dont do the 50/50. I am just now learning gumpaste.

I bought the wilton gumpaste, for the exact reason you stated. to learn about gumpaste.

okay, so, kneeding a little in might help. I have to really work on working this stuff. I am trying to make these 'strings' smaller/thinner. they break apart when I get them as small as I need them.

since I am making a tiara, I think I need it as hard as I can get it.

Now I am having issues making the 'glue' of watered downmushy gumpaste stick... it just doesnt want to cooroperate. icon_sad.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:03am
post #6 of 9

okay, I have a beautiful tiara, but cant get it to stick to the parchemnt paper and stand up to curve.

I cant get it to 'glue' together....

I DID add some crisco to the kneeding process, just a little and kneeded it in. THANK YOU!!! that was amazing. I was able to make my 'strings' much easier, there was no breakage, and its very smooth.

Now if I could just get it to stick together. I am going to let it dry flat for a few hours. THEN try again to stand it up.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:16am
post #7 of 9

rub some crisco on your parchment paper. the gumpaste will stick to it. just be careful when peeling parchment from your dried tiara so you don't get any breakage.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:20am
post #8 of 9

Try microwaving it for a few seconds, to get the gumpaste to dissolve. It should be like Elmer's glue consistency. If it's not, add a dash more water until it is like you need it.

Can you use a small cake pan to support the curve in the tiara?

I've never made one, so I can't help there.

chellescountrycakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 9

ahhh.. Thanks icon_smile.gif micorwave.. LOL never thought about that.

I had it perfect, and couldnt ever get it to stay on the butterbowl with parchment wrapped around it..

I just did 2 practice ones and they stuck JUST FINE!. I dont know WHY those stuck... but this one, which was PERFECT, wouldnt stick. I got it up there and was SOOOO proud. and it just fell. I could just cry.

I will have some coffee and then try the crisco on parchemnt paper. this time it better work. I am about out of gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%