Help Me Answer This Lady?

Business By karateka Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 2:52am by EvMarie

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:48am
post #1 of 25

I have an inquiry from theknot.com. She wants cupcakes for favors for her daughter's wedding. Her daughter already knows what she wants for a cake, so she doesn't want that from me.

"Would it still be $3/cupcake plus the cost of the boxes if it is something very simple?".

I'm thinking yes.....but I don't know how much those boxes are apiece. Would you include the cost of the boxes in the cost of the cupcakes?

And how do I politely tell her that if I'm not making the cake, I don't want to make the favors?

24 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 25

You definitely need to find about the price of boxes before you tell her how much you're going to charge. Individual boxes can be $1.00 each or more. (I mean you might be able to find them cheaper) but you need to figure out what you would use because you don't want to say, "Yes, I'll make your cupcakes for $3.00 each) and then find out that each box is going to cost $1.50 and your profit has just been cut in half.

I think the box is included in the price (if it's specified) but of course, the price of the box is factored in. So if they want it boxed and it costs a 1.00, then I'd be raising the price of the cupcake to $4.00.

AND if you don't want to take the order, quote her a price that's astronomical. Blame it on the boxes if you need to!

But out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want to make the cupcakes? (It's good money, there will probably be a bunch of them). Since she's having boxes, you could put a little label on each box with your company logo so that people know that you did the cupcakes. Definitely include your website and your phone number so that they can call you.

Just my thoughts. Hope this has helped.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 25

I personally don't do one if I'm not doing both, so if I'm not doing the cake, I wouldn't do the cupcakes. The baker that is doing the cake may have a contract about that too - the bride may be breaking it by bringing in your cupcakes.

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

I personally don't do one if I'm not doing both, so if I'm not doing the cake, I wouldn't do the cupcakes. The baker that is doing the cake may have a contract about that too - the bride may be breaking it by bringing in your cupcakes.

Interesting. I'm just a hobby baker, so I guess I don't get the reasoning behind it. The only thing that I can think of is that if the wedding cake tasted bad, they might think you made it.

So you actually put in a contract that if there are any other cake products, that they have to come from you? What happens if they bring cupcakes from another place? You call off the cake? Or they have to pay money to you for breaking the contract?

karateka Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 25

Any ideas where I'd find those boxes?

marmalade1687 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 25

To be honest, I've never run into anyone bringing anything else into the reception, so I have never had to "enforce" icon_cool.gif. I have this policy because I don't want my product getting mixed up with the other company's product (or great-grandma's cake that everyone is only eating out of politeness). You never know who made the other cake, and if (god forbid) there is a law suit, I don't want anyone mixing my name up in it!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 25

cylstrial - I have that clause in my wedding cake contract also. I do not want someone else's cake at a wedding where MY cake is the wedding cake - that way there is NO confusion about which cake is mine. It states I will take my cake back home with me and there will be NO refunds.

(didn't mean to hijack thread - sorry!)

marmalade1687 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 25

And in answer to your question, no it's not in my contract. But I have had people ask if I will do a second cake, or decorate a family members' cake - same answer. No, because I don't know the quality of the product that I am putting my company name onto when I walk it into the reception venue's door.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 25

karateka, to answer your question of where to get the boxes, I just did a google search for cupcake boxes. These first ones are cute and have a little heart cutout on top.
http://www.advantagebridal.com/whcubocufabo.html

http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=4815

The first ones work out to about .83 per box and the second are .89 per box.

Personally, I'd do them, but I would put a cute sticker with my logo on the box as a seal. I think I would want to bride to have a little card on her cake table saying the wedding cake is from "such and such bakery" and then the guests would know that there is a difference. I don't know. Just my two cents. To me it's money and I need it, so sure, I'd do the favors. icon_smile.gif

good luck, whatever you decide.

*edited for typo

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 25

It makes sense Marmalade and Loucinda! Thanks for sharing this info with me. Like I said, I'm just a home baker so I've never experienced any of this stuff.

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:06pm
post #11 of 25

http://www.advantagebridal.com/whcubocufabo.html

You might also try www.nashvillewraps.com. Or www.uline.com.

Hope this helps.

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:08pm
post #12 of 25

Sorry - that first link doesn't work. I accidently copied the cake central link or something. Here's the link I meant to send you.

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:12pm
post #13 of 25
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 25

GREAT LINKS!! I just sent an order to US boxes - will post when they arrive! Thanks cylstrial!

vnm42101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnm42101 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 25

I have ordered several times from the link below and have had no problems...

http://brpboxshop.com/bakery_boxes/cupcake_boxes.html

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm
post #16 of 25

No problem!

The link that VNM42101 posted looks good as well. I have looked at their website before, I just forgot about them! Thanks for the reminder!

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #17 of 25

this has nothing to do with the subject but it's a good question! How do you "advertise" that you're the one who made the cake? Hundreds of people are just loving it and wondering about it, but all those people can't attack the bride or the MOB to find out. Do you leave cards, a small sign, what? I want everyone to know I made it, but I don't want to do anything tacky.

karateka Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:21pm
post #18 of 25

I thank you for the links. I bookmarked them and let her know what the pricing would be.

Frankly, cupcakes are a PITA for me and do them only because so many request them. I refuse to charge less than a slice of cake simply because it takes me so much longer to make them.

I doubt I'll hear from her again. She didn't seem impressed with my pricing structure.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

Yup!

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:54pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

this has nothing to do with the subject but it's a good question! How do you "advertise" that you're the one who made the cake? Hundreds of people are just loving it and wondering about it, but all those people can't attack the bride or the MOB to find out. Do you leave cards, a small sign, what? I want everyone to know I made it, but I don't want to do anything tacky.

Quite frankly, someone's reception is not the place to do your advertising. Can you imagine if the bride had the label on the outside of her dress? Or the flower bouquets all had the name of the florist tied around a stem? If anyone wants to know, they'll ask. And if the bride is too busy at the time, someone else will get the info. After awhile, you'll get enough pics for your portfolio, you can post on your website, search engines will eventually pull it in to the top of searches...and word of mouth.

I know some people leave a card or a cutting instruction sheet...behind the cake where the people responsible will find it.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:04pm
post #21 of 25

If people really want to know most venues have that information handy. All you have to do is ask the host/hostess or emcee and they will be able to get that information for you.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:53pm
post #22 of 25

All of our beautiful blue boxes have our named hot stamped on the box, so if you get the box, you get the name. Would a Tiffany necklace be a Tiffany necklace if it didn't come in the blue box ?

Wedding favors are a lot about the "giftiness" of it. We get $5 per favor cupcake, and people ALWAYS want our pretty box.

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #23 of 25

Snarky...I wanna see!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #24 of 25

Here is a flickr pic ( not taken by me) of a cake and one of our boxes. We have them for 4X4x4 ( 1 cupcake) Up to 14X14 X14 ( small three tiered cake).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adelig/2272774362

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #25 of 25

I'm glad to see this topic, about the contract info especially. I would never have thought about the mix up with 2 different bakers' cakes. Good thought...

Also, about the pricing on cupcake favors...at $3. My area is somewhat depressed and the market won't demand that price (I don't think) but I'm glad to get a basis to start from.

I've purchased boxes and bags from papermart.com. I just got the uline.com catalog...they have a bazillion sizes. They also offer hot stamping and other custom stuff.

Miss Snarky....I love love love your boxes. I'm just starting out with a logo I designed. Hopefully, when I get rolling I can get custom boxes like yours! First...I must get out of my finished basement kitchen and into something commercial!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%