Beginner Tips Please

Decorating By peanut1976 Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 10:47am by Rylan

peanut1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut1976 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:17am
post #1 of 3

Hi, I am a complete beginner at cake making and decorating and would really appreciate some tips on best practise! I have made one or two cakes so far and have taken 2 one day courses to learn some techniques but would love to learn some of the techniques that everyone here uses. I have heard alot of people talk about freezing or refrigerating and allowing cakes to settle so would love to hear more about this!!! I have a childrens birthday cake to make next week so would be good to have a heads up!

Thanks Sarah

2 replies
HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:39am
post #2 of 3

I dont know whether you do fondant or Buttercream, I only do fondant so can only give any tips for that. But some might cross over.
Letting cakes settle for at least 12 hrs before decorating.
I use a madeira cake recipe quite heavy that will hold up to the weight of icing.
I bake at a lower temp than the recipe stated like 150C instead of 170C takes a bit longer but find less burning and the cake is still lovely and moist.
Using thick butter cream to damn the edges of your filling. I do mine about a centimeter back from the edge and make it thicker than the rest of my buttercream as it holds in the filling and helps minimise bulging.
I have frozen cakes well wrapped in cling wrap and foil let them thaw completely before decorating and tey were fine.
I havent refrigerated cakes so i dont know about that.
They are just some basic things I do cant think of anything else at the moment HTH.
HanX

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:47am
post #3 of 3

WELCOME TO CC SARAH!

This is a nice place to look for your answers: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forums-search.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%