Cake Business Name Help

Business By macciacae Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm by chefjess819

macciacae Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:47am
post #1 of 15

I am looking for help on a business name. I am a 1 man(well woman) show, I have no staff, it is a little business that I run from my home.

Any names will help.

Thanks a Million!!!

14 replies
kellertur Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:50am
post #2 of 15

What else can you tell us about yourselfor business to help generate ideas? icon_smile.gif

What do you make? (only cakes or other treats)
What kind of name are you looking for? (Playful, straight forward, etc.)?
Do you plan to incorporate your name?

(My business is a play on my daughter's name and also the type of cakes, etc. I make)...

Unlimited Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:34am
post #3 of 15

Before you settle on your business name, research your local telephone book so you aren't choosing something that already exists that may cause confusion. It's a good idea to check with your state before deciding too.

I own two businesses, and it's very annoying that someone started using my name 4 years after I registered it with the secretary of state. This is legal, as long as it's slightly different, like adding an "s" or in my instance, I'm a corporation (Inc.) and they are a limited liability co (LLC).

What makes it worse, is that HE refuses to put his number in the phone book, so sometimes we get more calls for him in a day than were meant for us... when people call information they give our number because we're the only one listed (which can be to our advantage, but they're usually complaint calls about the "other" company). I refuse to give out HIS number, I'm not "information" and it's not my job, however I'm happy to give out all of his phone numbers (including cell, pager, and home) if I learn it's a bill collector or the police! I told him over 14 years ago that if he doesn't list his business number, we're going to start providing the same type of work that he provides which could put him out of business, and he laughed. No biggie, I'm used to it now, but it's still annoying.
(sorry so long, but it's definitely something to consider and I hope it helps!)

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 15

Unlimited - that situation has got to be a little rough. Why won't he put his business phone number in the phone book? He just doesn't want to pay for it or what? Still, that's a little ridiculous when he wants business to come his way and has almost the exact same name.

Unlimited Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 15

He told me he couldn't afford the business listing in the phone book (it's not that expensive), and he's not such a small business either... last I heard, he had over a dozen employees. I think he has another reason, but just doesn't want to admit that he's probably trying to hide from someone (even after all these years! and he does manage to mess up and do crappy work).

Get this... his own employees sometimes don't even know the phone number to where they need to call in sick at the place they work. Also, repair shops will tell us our vehicle or equipment is ready to be picked up... I love asking why they don't look outside and call the number that's painted all over the truck!

Mabma80 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 15

what about using your name?? Or don't you want to do that? I didn't use my name cause people ALWAYS misspell it. Unless they know me or are family. My business name I had chosen a long time ago and found that another business had it near my house. Fortunately, they closed down and I got the name! YAY! Sorry for them. I really couldn't have another name that would make me happy. What about "Sweet Something(s)" or "Sweet Tooth" or "Sugar Pie". Just ideas.

Doug Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 15

Tiers of Joy -- Cakes so good, you'll cry!

Mabma80 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 15

That is sooo clever Doug!!!

mommyle Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 15

Eat Me. Bite Me. Eat This. Eat It. Love My Goodies...

2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 15

You didn't say if your last or first name was hard to pronounce. If both are difficult, you could use your child's name and call it (child's name)'s Sweet Bites.

kellertur Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 15
Originally Posted by mommyle

Are you serious or joking? Especially with the first one? icon_confused.gif

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm
post #12 of 15
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Originally Posted by mommyle

Are you serious or joking? Especially with the first one? icon_confused.gif

I'm wondering the same thing!

ptanyer Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 15
Originally Posted by Doug

Tiers of Joy -- Cakes so good, you'll cry!

That's so good!

I am actually working on my business name and have been searching the web to see if there are other places using the name I want. I haven't found one yet, and have checked the Secretary of State for my state and for surrounding states and no one has that name. I found one that is just a little bit different and I emailed them to see if they had any objection to my using my proposed name. They were so nice and said that they had not objection and then thanked me for being so professional as to contact them and ask. They are in a state near me and so no competition. So that's a go. Lots of other things to sort out before I can make it official.

So checking the web might be an option to consider. icon_smile.gif

auntbeesbaking Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:29pm
post #14 of 15

My friend owns a cheesecake business and she suggested if I ever "name my business" to consider it starting with letters at the beginning of the alphabet. Since in a phonebook, businesses are in alphabetical order, people usually start at the top and work their way down. They may get tired of looking if there's a lot listed in your phonebook. Just a thought.....

chefjess819 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm
post #15 of 15

what about something that rhymes with your name? say, like my last name is maler, so i would use "Maler-Made Cakes" or something like that. or a catchy song title older songs are more willing to give concent for use. I like "The SugarShack" thought it would make a good bakery name. lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%