Cake Boss 6/15/09

Lounge By cutthecake Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 1:07pm by sweetcravings

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:06pm
post #31 of 94

You can refrigerate Satin Ice? I thought refrigerating all fondant cakes was a no-no. I'm so confused..................

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:24pm
post #32 of 94

I can't believe that the bride did that to Buddy's beautiful cake! You just have to be a plain B*tch to do something like that. I can't believe that Buddy kept his cool with her (cause let's face it, we know he has a temper). If someone did something like that to me, let's just say that I wouldn't have been that nice about it! I would have told her to get out and hope she can get a cake from Walmart for her wedding tomorrow.

But Buddy was the better person! Kudos to him! And I still can't believe the way that bride acted when he delivered her new beautiful cake. She was probably embarrassed about the way she acted. But still, who wants her wedding day to be terrible? What an awful attitude. I'm wondering how long that marriage is going to last?

Anyway, I love Buddy's show!

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:33pm
post #33 of 94

I agree that a lot of the show seems staged but I still like the show a lot. Its new and different than anything we've seen before and its very entertaining.

My hubby was upset because he was watching the LSU/MS State game on tv and missed it! I told him to chill, we got it on DVR.

Michellet62260 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellet62260 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm
post #34 of 94

I have never seen this show?? What network is it on and when is it on?? I live in Florida and have Direct TV if that makes a difference? Sounds like fun. I watch Ace of Cakes sometimes but it comes on at 1 am here and it gets rather boring at times. I would like to see them do more smaller projects rather than spending the whole hour show on one gargantuous monstrosity of a cake!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #35 of 94

I think that show is staged.
I love the cake work, but the yelling, the family drama, and all the other stuff that goes on gets old pretty fast if you ask me...
Jodi

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #36 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellet62260

I have never seen this show?? What network is it on and when is it on?? I live in Florida and have Direct TV if that makes a difference? Sounds like fun. I watch Ace of Cakes sometimes but it comes on at 1 am here and it gets rather boring at times. I would like to see them do more smaller projects rather than spending the whole hour show on one gargantuous monstrosity of a cake!

I have watched the show..was not too impressed...I feel the bakers/decorators on this site....could outdo his cakes in their sleep...!!!!!!!!and I don't care for his attitude much...not sure I will watch again...well maybe...cake addict her...hehehehe

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:12pm
post #37 of 94

I don't think it will be on more than this season. TO MUCH DRAMA....and not enough about the cakes. I don't want to hear them screaming at each other and trying to throw their weight around.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #38 of 94

It was so fake. No one walks into a room with fake surprise stretched across their face when they see someone attacking their cake. I know I would freak the heck out, kick them out, and no cake for you, but I'm keeping the deposit, thank you.

Also, if she was trying to add more color to her cake, would she really had just slathered on icing anywhere? Taken a spatula to her flowers and smeared it all over?

What logical person would give her an even bigger cake? It went from 4 tiers to 5, from round to square. Do you have any idea how many more servings that is? How much money he lost?

Not one bit of this is logical. It was staged to show everyone Buddy's Heart O' Gold. It's silly.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:40pm
post #39 of 94
Quote:

It's on TLC Monday nights at 9 central, so it'd be 10 your time. You can do a search for the show on the menu, and you may be able to find repeats.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #40 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Also, if she was trying to add more color to her cake, would she really had just slathered on icing anywhere? Taken a spatula to her flowers and smeared it all over?

She wasn't trying to "add more color" to her cake, she was trying to destroy the cake so he would make her a new one, and just being a b!tch to get her point across.

The wedding was at the Alpine Country Club, and Alpine is THE single most most expensive place to live in New Jersey. My guess is this chick is a spoiled primadonna who has always gotten her way by stomping her feet and whining for it (we have a lot of those in Jersey--especially up in that area) and this is how she goes about it. Her mother--being a good customer of Buddy's--probably spends thousands of dollars a year at Carlo's and he was doing it to keep peace with a good customer.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I'd deliver the cake she ruined to her wedding. She wants color? She can have the cake she colored. Let her deal with her mother.

that is exactly what i thought. i dont know why he didnt do that.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #42 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

You can refrigerate ? I thought refrigerating all fondant cakes was a no-no. I'm so confused..................

I thought this too for a long time, but Satin Ice refridgerates very nicely. Did it on my last wedding cake, overnight! Just don't touch the fondant until it is done condensating. Other fondants I hear don't do as well in the fridge. There is one homemade one that is suppose to do well too, just don't remember which one.

Michellet62260 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellet62260 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #43 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

Quote:

It's on TLC Monday nights at 9 central, so it'd be 10 your time. You can do a search for the show on the menu, and you may be able to find repeats.

Thanks chassidyg! I will look for it. Sounds like a stressful show to watch. I was watching chopped last the other night, Not crazy about it.

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #44 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by merciermom

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!! ROCKS!!!

YES!!! ME TOO!!!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #45 of 94

I like the show, but I do think some of the things are staged. You can see some of the bakers trying not to smile when their getting yelled at. Even Buddy has a little smirk sometimes (once when he was going down the stairs to yell about the water), like he knows it's funny but he's trying to be serious.

Just have to comment about the family meal at the end of the show. Holy crap did that look yummy!!! There was enough food there to feed a small village. icon_biggrin.gif

I am impressed that Buddy and his crew do all those special cakes, and run a bakery and handle bridezillas. And his are real, edible cakes, not some foam & wood covered in fondant like someone elses cakes are icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:14pm
post #46 of 94

[quote="summernoelle"]It was so fake. No one walks into a room with fake surprise stretched across their face when they see someone attacking their cake. I know I would freak the heck out, kick them out, and no cake for you, but I'm keeping the deposit, thank you.

I agree totally...............I mean really, if this had happened to YOU, what reaction would you have had???? I thought his expression was on the verge of funny, not hysterical..................

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:19pm
post #47 of 94

Ok, Im chiming in! I replayed that whole thing for my husband last night. I just couldnt believe that bride. I have to give Buddy credit for holding back his Italian temper and not pushing the biatchs face into the cake. I can understand why he did what he did with the mother. But from what you could see, the bride is definetly a spoiled brat. When she gave him the attitude at the venue her mother fluffed it away that it was a stressful day for her. Well to me, the mother must be making exceptions for her daughter way too much and letting her get away with walking all over people. If she was any kind of mother she should of put her foot down and told her daughter that she doesnt treat people that way and if she didnt go apologize for her actions that there was going to be hell to pay! I dont care how much money you have, there is no excuse for that type of rudeness. And I hope Buddy took the mother up on her offer and made her pay for BOTH cakes.
I truely have to hand it to him though. I think I wouldnt of been able to hold back my feelings like that!!

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:25pm
post #48 of 94

I've been giving the show a try whenever I can watch it. I do think it doesn't represent Buddy as being nice (something he came on here CC to complain about the Challenges doing)- he really comes across as a jerk and I don't care to see him treating others like that.

I was horrified by that girl last night, and it did seem VERY staged and he did seem like he was laughing instead of being mad. With a temper like he has there is NO way that was real. A real disappointment to me. I don't need to see cake people faking drama- I want to see cakes being made!

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #49 of 94
Quote:
Quote:

I have watched the show..was not too impressed...I feel the bakers/decorators on this site....could outdo his cakes in their sleep...!!!!!!!!and I don't care for his attitude much...not sure I will watch again...well maybe...cake addict her...hehehehe

I too agree that CC has some amazing work but come on that last cake they made for the bridzilla (in one day!!! at least that what they said) was AMAZING! I think the work that Buddy's place produces is outstanding. The sugar flowers were stunning. Every cake may not have that WOW factor but not every cake we do does either.

As far as the attitude, I believe every second of it. 100% italian with NY attitude!! That is exactly how my NY father in law is!!

I just wanted to say watching Streach get the water dumped on him was the bast part of the show. I LMAF!! Classic! Blood is thicker than watter!!
I love Italians!!!!

mowrys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mowrys Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm
post #50 of 94

I just feel sorry for the guy who married her!!!!!!

cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:46pm
post #51 of 94

I LOVE THE SHOW, AND I ALSO THINK IT WAS STAGE, BECAUSE I'VE SEEN BUDDY ON THE CHALLENGES AND HE SOMETIMES GETS UPSET WHEN THE JUDGES CRITIQUE HIS WORK, SO I IMAGINE THAT A CUSTOMER DOING THAT TO HIS WORK HE WOULD BE P.O. icon_mad.gif AND WOULD HAVE THROWN HER OUT...

weirkd Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #52 of 94

I dont know if it was staged. I think that he had to hold back his temper because the mother was a long time customer. So I see why he couldnt actually do or say what he really felt. The way him and his crew talk to each other, that is definetly not staged. Every NY Italian man I know has that kind of temper. But their also family and that is what counts the most to them. So no matter how they talk to each other, they all know they love each other.
I really loved the the prank twist. Too funny! The dumfounded look on his face said it all!! You could tell the wheels in his head was turning trying to figure out where the guy went...then splash! Too funny! Great tention reliever!!
I really love the show. I like AOC too, but Carlos Bakery is a true old fashioned bakery.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #53 of 94

I'm from Chicago and part of a big ol' Italian family. Trust me, some Italian families are exactly like Buddy's. The constant yelling means nothing. It reminds me of the British. No matter how much they cut you apart, they still sound polite. Well, some Italians are the exact opposite. They may yell and scream but it's their way of showing they care about you. Seriously, if anyone ever gives you the cold shoulder, or speaks softly, in my family...LOOK OUT.

I'm not totally sure I believe the bride incident though. That girl just seemed really off. Like she's pathologically "off." Who knows. I can see why he remade the cake but I'm not sure I would have done the same thing. What made me laugh is that he did it to keep a good customer. Then he went on national TV and called the girl a crazy bridezilla. The mother is going to see that. Right? I can't help but wonder if she'll blacklist him anyway.

weirkd Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #54 of 94

I dont know, but it sure made the MIL and the Zilla' look like idiots in my book. Im sure they werent going around telling all their friends they were going to be on tv. They would be literally laughed at.
Yep, my Dad was such an easy going guy but when he got quiet, watch out!!! My mother yelled and screamed but all he had to do is look at us and we were scared sh*less of what he was going to do to us!!!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #55 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Yep, my Dad was such an easy going guy but when he got quiet, watch out!!! My mother yelled and screamed but all he had to do is look at us and we were scared sh*less of what he was going to do to us!!!

"THE LOOK". Worst than getting yelled at. OR when they use your middle name..........yikes!!!

weirkd Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #56 of 94

Oh yah, the whole name thing! Or what was worse was when they LOOKED at you and then said "Im very disappointed in you." That was worse than getting smacked on the butt!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #57 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

I dont know if it was staged. I think that he had to hold back his temper because the mother was a long time customer.

Yes, I agree with weirkd, plus I'm almost sure the MOB paid for both cakes, you could tell she's used to "fix" her little monster's mistakes icon_confused.gif

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #58 of 94

I love the show ,but this was defiantly staged. First off all the second cake was bigger then the first one ,did the number of guest changed ,and secondly the first cake was a dummy cake. If you look closely the new cake had beautiful flowers with wires covered and but for the first cake Buddy was putting the calla's with just wire, in to the cake. seasoned decorator like him would not make this mistake.
Come on wires directly in to the cake,a big no no.

weirkd Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #59 of 94

Its hard to say that he didnt put straws in first and it was edited out.
And yah, I agree that the mom was used to fixing the problems her brat caused. Its a shame that the groom is going to have to deal with this to lawyer do they part!!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #60 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubia

I love the show ,but this was defiantly staged. First off all the second cake was bigger then the first one ,did the number of guest changed ,and secondly the first cake was a dummy cake. If you look closely the new cake had beautiful flowers with wires covered and but for the first cake Buddy was putting the calla's with just wire, in to the cake. seasoned decorator like him would not make this mistake.
Come on wires directly in to the cake,a big no no.

Actually a lot of seasoned and well-known decorators put wires straight into their cakes (right or wrong, they do it), so that doesn't prove anything. I don't believe it was staged either way because I know people like that psycho "I'm entitled to everything because I have money" bridezilla b!tch, and Buddy's reaction seemed genuine to me. He doesn't have a bad temper, the yelling is just with his family and people close to him. He's not going to blow up on a customer in the same way (especially when the mother is a long-time, very good customer)--he's a pro. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they put the new cake together in one day either because in a large production bakery like that they have TONS of cake baked and ready to be used, and even loads of flowers made up ahead of time for last-minute orders.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%