Crumb Coat

Decorating By swritik Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm by katherinem

swritik Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:52am
post #1 of 7

ok do i just crumb coat the cake and then put fondant or do i crumb coat and then do another layer and then fondant?

6 replies
Laurascakefactory Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #2 of 7

just a crumb coat will work. Just make sure it is as smooth as possible as your fondant will show imperfections underneath it.

jonahsmom Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #3 of 7

I've tried it both ways. I like it better with just a smooth crumb coat underneath. I think it's too hard to get smooth with too much underneath. Just my two cents!

Elise87 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #4 of 7

just your preference really on how thick you want whatever you are using under the fondant icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:26am
post #5 of 7

I just crumbcoat and then fondant.

jardot22 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 7

I also just do a crumbcoat then fondant. Every time I have tried to do a thicker layer of icing on top of the crumbcoat, I have problems with the fondant pushing the icing downward and causing bulging out the bottom of the cake. Probably just my inexperience, but for now I'm sticking with a crumbcoat icon_smile.gif

katherinem Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 7

I also just stick to a crumbcoat -- putting too much icing on the cake before putting on the fondant can cause all sorts of problems - the biggest one is that you would have icing oozing out everywhere - big mess

Quote by @%username% on %date%