Crumb Coat

Decorating By swritik Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm by katherinem

swritik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swritik Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:52am
post #1 of 7

ok do i just crumb coat the cake and then put fondant or do i crumb coat and then do another layer and then fondant?

R.

6 replies
Laurascakefactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurascakefactory Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #2 of 7

just a crumb coat will work. Just make sure it is as smooth as possible as your fondant will show imperfections underneath it.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #3 of 7

I've tried it both ways. I like it better with just a smooth crumb coat underneath. I think it's too hard to get smooth with too much underneath. Just my two cents!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #4 of 7

just your preference really on how thick you want whatever you are using under the fondant icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:26am
post #5 of 7

I just crumbcoat and then fondant.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 7

I also just do a crumbcoat then fondant. Every time I have tried to do a thicker layer of icing on top of the crumbcoat, I have problems with the fondant pushing the icing downward and causing bulging out the bottom of the cake. Probably just my inexperience, but for now I'm sticking with a crumbcoat icon_smile.gif

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 7

I also just stick to a crumbcoat -- putting too much icing on the cake before putting on the fondant can cause all sorts of problems - the biggest one is that you would have icing oozing out everywhere - big mess

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%