Mixing Gumpaste And Fondant

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 2:24pm by mindy1204

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #1 of 5

I bought Wilton colored fondant and gumpaste. I mixed them aprox 50/50 and used it to make a Dora figure, As I was working with it, it just dried out so quick, I would mix criso in to moisten it back up but it didnt really work so well. My shirt and shorts for Dora have cracks in it.

Also when attaching them I used a little water but it didnt seem to hold, how do you get it to home onto each other?

4 replies
sweetsbystacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #2 of 5

I add a little bit of Gum Tex to a ball of fondant. I use a touch of Crisco to keep it from ending up a powder cloud........and then I just knead it all together.

I have done this to make a bow (came out perfectly, dried hard with no cracks) and a few other things.

HTH!

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 5

I do more like 70/30 fondant /gum paste and mix in a touch of crisco. I haven't had cracking with that combo.
What I find works great for a 'glue is equal parts water and meringue powder. I have some mixed in a baby food jar that I can seal later and reuse, no waste!

Kenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kenzy Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:28am
post #4 of 5

Because I haven't been able to get my hands on CMC yet ~ I too have been mixing gum paste and fondant (about 70/30) and so far no problems at all. Good Luck

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 5

Ok so too much gum paste is the problem. I will try again with less gumpaste. Thanks for the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%