Bleck, Cookie Dough Gone Baaaaaaaaad!

Baking By sweetcravings Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 1:29am by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 4

icon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif Well, i'm feeling a little ill just thinking about it, and the after taste is still lingering in my mouth. I took out some cookie dough i had made and frozen at christmas, baked up some cookies..just tasted one..ugh disgusting! It tastes sooo off, i'm thinking the butter went rancid or something. I had it sealed with my food saver and still it didn't keep this from going bad. I was making them for my neices graduation, i needed around 50..the batch of frozen dough only made half that so i mixed up a fresh batch of dough to bake afterwards. I don't know what made me pick up one of the 'frozen' batch cookies but i did. When i tasted it i just about threw up. DH spit it out too! It's weird, when i tasted the dough raw it tasted alright. I didn't notice anything off. It's just after baking that the taste and smell was noticable. Into the garbage they went. icon_sad.gif

Now i'm concerned because I rolled the new batch on the same counter, same rolling pin etc.. Do you think it would affect the 'good' batch? What if bits of dough on the counter got into the 'good' batch? They seem to taste alright, smell good. I don't want to make anyone sick.

I'm worried i may get sick after eating the 'bad' dough raw, and then the bites of it afterwards..i swallowed it..i dunno why i didn't spit it out..ugh. What do you think?

I think i'm gonna go throw out any of the dough i have frozen in the freezer just to be safe. Thank God i tasted them before i started decorating them! Lesson learned.

Suzanne

3 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 4

I can't really answer your questions but raw cookie dough in the freezer is no longer than 2 months... christmas is sooo far !

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 4

If it stayed frozen it should be ok as far as spoilage. But if you've lost power and there was any thawing then you might need to worry about the safety of it. Anything strong in your freezer? garlic, pizza, fish? Food really absorbs freezer odors(and flavor) and you just didnt notice it until baked. I think the 2-3month guideline is due to texture, flavor loss, freezer burn quality etc. I mean frozen is frozen. IMO

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #4 of 4

Well, it was rock hard when i took it out. I did thaw it on the counter because i wanted to bake it this evening..it only took a few hours to thaw.
No power outages either.

So do you think using the same rolling pin, counter etc..will make the other batch bad?

ETA..only bread and other baked goods in that freezer, nothing strong flavored.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%