More Ways For Brides To Cut Costs

Decorating By MnSnow Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 2:28am by MnSnow

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
6 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 7

Am I on crack...or did they talk about blown sugar work and saving money in the same sentence?!?!? Sheesh. I love how they go Cake Alchemy t talk about saving money. Oh well.....see, we can say "see how much it costs you there?" icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 7

Again...... the reporting world think everything is done like in New York. The suggestion that some people "...are going outside Manhatten" to get their cake. And how some changes can reduce the price "....by $3/person."

Heck there are cakes out there you can flat out buy for LESS than $3 a person! icon_eek.gif

Ingredients that are "in season"? And then she cites isomalt at $10/pound instead of sugar for "...ten cents a pound"?

How many of your brides have even HEARD of isomalt and would have any clue to ask "do you use sugar or isomalt?" as a way to save money icon_confused.gif

This report didn't really say anything other than the old stand by "get a small cake plus sheets". What a waste of internet space!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:16am
post #4 of 7

I seriously would love to see what places like Cake Alchemy charge for their cakes. Do they have a base price per serving charge and then tack on charges from there?

I'm floored at the cost of some things, but then again, I'm one who won't pay much for a cake. That's why I started making them myself. icon_smile.gif I'm cheap, and I don't want cake for any occasion enough to spend upwards of $100 for a small cake for my child's birthday. It's a bit ironic, I know. I just like baking and decorating allows me to be creative.

The way I see it is if a bride doesn't want to spend a ton of money on a wedding, or they can't afford cake for those 350 guests they've invited, then they need to scale it back to what they can afford. Gumpaste flowers are beautiful, but you can get silk flowers that accomplish the same visual effect for less money, and if you make the arrangement yourself (like for the topper) you can save even more money.

One of my good friends did all of the flowers for her own wedding, including the flowers for the cake. They were beautiful and it saved her a lot of money.

I just hate to see these news articles or clips that tell brides how to save money on their weddings, and was I just hearing things or did she say that she suggests scaling back the cake and doing sheet cakes for the rest of the servings to save money?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Am I on crack...or did they talk about blown sugar work and saving money in the same sentence?!?!?

Oh yeah, my eyes actually bugged out of my head at that part! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #6 of 7

My guess is they probably weren't recommending sugar work as a money-saving suggestion, but were discussing it as a simpler (i.e., cleaner-looking) design option over fussy floral designs that are popular for weddings, and then big liberties were taken in the editing room and turned everything they said into supposed money-saving tips.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:28am
post #7 of 7

Yeah I as surprised at "blown sugar being cheaper" as opposed to ???

I agree they should really take a hard look at their guest list and scale it down to fit their budget. I am so tired of them hitting the cake as a way of cutting costs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%