Carve A Fishing Boat Cake

Decorating By nancysmom Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm by nancysmom

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 9

I would like to make a replica of my husbands fishing boat for fathers day. I would like to know if it is best to carve the cake when the bread is frozen or at room temperture?Also what could I use for the silver railing around the boat? Do I cover the boat with bc frosting and then fondent or could I do just fondent over the cake?If any one can help, I would apreciate it. thank you.

8 replies
cocoa20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoa20 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 9

I am not much help, but I just did a fishing boat for my BIL. It is not that good as I was in a big time crunch. My boat was in RKT covered in fondant but I used floral wire as the rail. I am not sure about using it on a cake. Good Luck.

cocoa20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoa20 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 9

Not sure if you will get my reply to your question under my photo. So I will answer here as well. The boat was not that hard to mold. I just made it a flat bottom. I did cover it 2X in fondant to try to get it smoother. Thanks for the nice comment. I had another cake due that day and ended up finishing this one at the church during the service. So I did not have much time for the canopy on top and just had to use whatever I could get my hands on. That was all I could come up with. I know yours will turn out great.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 9

I'm in the middle of working on my first boat and I made it from a loaf shaped (9x5) pound cake and a large cupcake. I froze it before carving and I used a food safe marker to draw on the cake where i wanted to cut os I got things pretty even. I'll post pics once I have it done.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 9

You should cover your cake in buttercream before the fondant for a smoother surface. The other advantage to this is that if someone decides they do not like fondant, there will be BC on the cake. As far as carving, what I have seen on the site, is that most prefer carving while the cake is partially frozen, just enough to provide some firmness and keep you from smooshing it!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 9

i just made a replica of a fishing boat with the canopy,etc. i use it on a road of life cake.. i had to use florist wire to help me constuct it. and yes, told them what is involved and not to consume it.. they wouldn,t have anyway..it has 3 people on it.. holding their catch... and the canopy i made from gumpaste and placed on a small piece of card board. then attached with superglue.this boat never touched the cake. in fact , i took it to the occasion.. and sat the boat in icing that looked like water.. and then told them the whole constructions of this cake. they were pleased. i will be posting the pictures this week. you could make lots of this with pastiallage.. but i did not have the time.. had a week and half to get this cake together..about 16 items on it to represent this girls life..i made the boat from gumpaste. didn,t want to use a plastic one

nancysmom Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all for all your help. I will use all your advise.It is very sweet of you all to help. icon_biggrin.gif

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:18pm
post #8 of 9

I made a replica of my mom's boyfriends boat. I had such a hard time starting this cake. It was kind of overwhelming at first. I had trouble getting the scale right for the cake. I did carve the cake partially frozen, as I do with all my carved cakes (it makes it so much easier!!) And once I carved and pieced the cake together, the rest was a piece of cake (ha ha). I started off with a sheet cake and carved and shaped it. Good luck!!! thumbs_up.gif

nancysmom Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all. I made this boat cake already for my husband, back in June for fathers day. It turned out great at least I think it did. He loved it. thanks to every one for their help. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%