Endometrial Ablation, Ever Heard Of It?

Lounge By Deb_ Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 5:28pm by margaretb

Deb_ Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 18

Long story short I'm having "woman's issues" as my dear Mom would have said........LOL!

So, I was seen by my OB/GYN today and she took an Endometrial biopsy of my uterus.

If that comes back normal she said one option I have is this Endometrial Ablation procedure.

Has anyone had this done and if so what was your experience?

Positive and negative feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Deb

17 replies
Deb_ Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 18

uh oh is this a bad sign? Nobody's ever heard of this?

Franluvsfrosting Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 18

I think this is what my SIL just had done. She was all happy and chirpy about it so it fixed her issues! I don't really know much about it but she really has been pleased with the results and feels much better.

michellenj Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 18

Is this where they basically burn the inside of your uterus, and it's supposed to stop heavy periods/cramps? If so-my neighbor had it done and says that it changed her life!

jjkarm Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:08am
post #5 of 18

Here's a thread from a while ago when we talked about it....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608512-endrometrial.html+ablation

MnSnow Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #6 of 18

My daughter will be having it done soon. She said they told her they basically take scalding hot water and inject it into the uterus to burn the lining, thus cauterizing the excessive bleeding. Apparently suppose to be very successful.

I dunno...sounds painful to me icon_smile.gif I can't help thinking that where does that hot water go after it leaves the uterus and is it burning there too?

umgrzfn Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #7 of 18

Scalding hot water....mmmmm, not quite. I worked for an OB/Gyn as her Medical Assistant and was in on these procedures comonly called either Her Option/Endometrial Ablation...etc. I would be more then happy to answer your questions for you if you PM me. Which procedure you are having depends on what they will be doing. Her Option is done in office under a local and Endometrial Ablation is done in an out patient setting under general. The end result is the same, just different ways to accomplish it. And yes, they would take a sample called an EMB (Endometrial Biopsy) to make sure your uturine lining is normal. If they freeze/cauterize your lining it could cover up something that is more serious. Again, please PM me and I will be so happy to discuss this with you. Also, you can message me on yahoo messenger under cara.heald
HTH

umgrzfn Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:05am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

My daughter will be having it done soon. She said they told her they basically take scalding hot water and inject it into the uterus to burn the lining, thus cauterizing the excessive bleeding. Apparently suppose to be very successful.

I dunno...sounds painful to me icon_smile.gif I can't help thinking that where does that hot water go after it leaves the uterus and is it burning there too?

icon_biggrin.gif There will be a discharge whether you have the Ablation or Her Option. Not quite sure them telling her "scalding water" was really the best thing but ok.... There is definately discharge though. No, it doesn't keep burning! icon_biggrin.gif

umgrzfn Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:07am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

uh oh is this a bad sign? Nobody's ever heard of this?

icon_biggrin.gif No worries...I saw your post and I'm hear for you!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

umgrzfn Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:07am
post #10 of 18

I meant here not hear!! LOL

Deb_ Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 18

Thank you all so much!

Cara, I got your PM and just replied........you're awesome thanks!

MsSnow.........Wow.....scalding hot water sounds like torture! The brochure they gave me "NovaSure" describes it as "precisely measured radio frequency energy is delivered through the mesh for approx 90 seconds" so I guess it does burn the lining of the uterus.

jjkarm........thanks for that link I'll check it out too!

michellenj......yup I'm having terrible hemorrhaging so basically it's supposed to help that. I'm so happy to hear your neighbor had good luck with this. I'm pretty miserable, and it's really having a negative effect on my life, so I can't continue like this.

Franluvsfrosting.......I'm so glad your SIL is feeling better too! It's good to hear positive results.

I really don't want a hysterectomy, so hopefully I'll be able to have this done instead.

Again, thank you all so much......you guys are great!
Deb

ncdessertdiva Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:01pm
post #12 of 18

I had it done several years ago and it saved my sanity! The recovery time is minimal and so is the pain. I would highly recommend it.
Leslie

-Tubbs Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 18

I think this is what my sister had about 6 months ago. She's really pleased with the results - she was only out of action for about 2 days, and says things are MUCH improved.

Deb_ Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 18

It's so comforting to know that this procedure has helped some of you or your family members. It makes my decision a lot easier.

Thanks so much for responding, I really appreciate it.
Deb icon_smile.gif

mis Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:51am
post #15 of 18

Deb, I will send you a pm.

margaretb Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #16 of 18

This is a hijack, I guess, but I just looked up this procedure and I see it is used for heavy bleeding. Since my periods came back after my last child was born, I have had extremely heavy periods. I asked my doctor about it, but he didn't really address it at all, and it is horrible. I'm talking a pad an hour. After this last birth, my uterus wasn't contracting so I was put on something to make it contract, so I wonder if it has to do with that. Anyone have any experience/know anything about why a period would change so much? Probably not menopause, as I am only 36.

Deb_ Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #17 of 18

Hi Margaret,

I've always been pretty normal with my periods until just about 6 months ago when they started getting extremely heavy with a lot of huge clots.

From what I've been told I have quite a few fibroid cysts and these can be the cause of my heavy periods now.

I had a sonogram and that's how they found the cysts. Now I just had a biopsy and on the 6th of July I go in for another sonogram where they also insert a catheter into the uterus to get a closer look at the inside of my uterus. If both tests come back OK then I'm a candidate for the Ablation, if not then I'll need a hysterectomy.

If you are soaking a pad an hour then that is definitely a cause for concern. If your doctor doesn't think so I'd get another opinion. Everything I've read has used the "pad an hour" as an example of a problem that needs to be addressed.

You may have cysts or if it's real close since your last birth, you could need a D & C. I had to have one after my 2nd child's birth, because I was experiencing that same problem as you.

I would definitely make another appointment with your doctor and express your concerns. You can't go on bleeding like that every month.

Good luck,
Deb

icon_smile.gif

margaretb Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:28pm
post #18 of 18

Maybe I'll just go back where I had all my prenatal stuff done. If I need any procedures done, I'd pretty much have to go there anyway. Thanks for the response.

Margaret

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%