Just Need To Vent On My Castle Cake Disaster

Decorating By jakenheather Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 8:17pm by jakenheather

jakenheather Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 7

So I haven't done a cake in a year, and then a year before that one. So I was rusty to say the least, but when I friend asked me to do a cake I said sure. I found a castle kit on sale a few weeks prior and told her I was excited to use the kit, boy was I wrong. We had moved and most of my stuff was misplaced and I was stressed over that.But that was the start of my stress.

The cake: Now that I am sitting here, I am pretty sure I needed to do something different with the cake mix other than make sure all ingredients were warm, so the cake was soft, but that was no problem till I cut it at the party. Everyone said it was good, so that should count for something. Thank you DH for making the PB filling.

The Icing: Boy did I forget how to get the consistancy right. I used my aunt's recipe we learned in school (dream whip, powdered sugar, milk, flavoring, and crisco). The Icing slid off the bottom tier once, redid it thicker and it slid off on the way to the party, not completey, but all could tell it was sliding down the side!

The tips: Hmm... trying to save time I didn't do the fondant flowers or dried drop flowers like I should have. I wanted to use my swirl tip and just do it as I went. I just couldn't get the tip to work right, plus...

The kit: who's idea was it to ice plastic!?! Ok, It all started out good, I piped the outline of the windows of the towers, sprinkled with cake sprinkles, then tried to put the flowers on them too. Well using my lazy method pulled off dried piping so I had pick off piping before going forward. And icing the peaks, whatever, I will use fondant next time. I also did read some posts and had DH drill holes for towers to be dowled. However, either have your cake on a thick foam bard to stick the into or have DH drill holes on the side of 4 to put on bottom. I only put 2 on the bottom and one fell of taking the cake to the party table.

The transport: What was I thinking... do NOT put any towers on till you get to your party destination. Then you can finish the border around them. We live 30 min from the party and on rough country roads and lost a tower and removed another for moving too much on the way. Plus the icing slid on the way which helped the windows lok like they were tiling down.

Did I say I was rusty! Oh my. Wow I need practice. I was so stressed! But I felt better when all the little kids mostly about 5 said it was beautiful and they liked it... so that is all that matters right! Plus I don't feel too bad, I never charge but for the supplies because I have never done a cake for anyone other than family or friends but 2x.

Thank you to all who read my frustrations. I will definatey do it different next time.

6 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 7

so sorry you thought it was a disaster but since the kids loved it, sounds like it was a success. Don't be so hard on yourself.

jdrew Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 7

I thought you did a good job on the cake.

Julie

Franluvsfrosting Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 7

I think that even though you struggled with it, it turned out pretty good! Of course your picture is before the party but like you said, 5 year olds are very forgiving. (Thank the Lord! lol) I did a castle cake for my son's birthday last year using ice cream cones for the turrets. It's so ugly to me! But he (and all the kids at his party) thought it was the coolest thing ever. Fortunately for people like us kids don't generally watch Ace of Cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 7

You know, I think the cake is really pretty. I have the kit and I have used it once. I think making the parts out of slick plastic was a really bad idea on Wiltons part. Now that i have read your post I think I am going to have to modify my kit so that there are spikes that can go from the towers into the cake. I can never goet them to stand up straight and STAY there. I dread using it every time. I purchased it to do my daughters cake and when she asks me I find ways to only use parts of it. I did a Ariel cake with it and only used a coupld of the towers. So, I dont think it was all you. The kit is not very user friendly.

jakenheather Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 7

thank you for the kind comments, I was so stressed over it and just wanted it to be perfect. you all are great! God Bless!

jakenheather Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 7

thank you for the kind comments, I was so stressed over it and just wanted it to be perfect. you all are great! God Bless!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%