How Do You Make A Football Helmet?

Decorating By MEME1977 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm by katherinem

MEME1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MEME1977 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 5

I know the instructions to do this is somewhere on here but i just could not find it. So is there anyone out there who could help me out with this please!!!!! My son birthday party is on July 11 and I really want to make him one of these cakes.Help Pleasw!!

4 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 5

Ok here's what I did. I used a large stainless steel mixing bowl. Bake two. Then I made a ten inch round, bake one. I stacked one bowl cake on bottom (slightly cut off the bottom so it sits well), the ten inch round in the middle, and the final bowl cake inverted on top. (Hope that makes sense!) You should get a slightly off spherical shape. Then I used a filet knife to shape the roundness a little better. Then I placed a dowel down the center of the cake and slightly into the board. This will be important when cutting out for the facemask. Next I made the facemask cuts, covered in buttercream and then covered in fondant.

Before you begin all that, you should make the facemask. I made mine with gumpaste so it would have time to dry completely. My mother used wire hangers to make the form for the facemask and then I rolled out some 'snakes' of grey gumpaste and shaped them around the form. Then when the gumpaste is dry, gently pull the form away.

I'll include my little diagram of where I made the cuts in my cake. Hopefully, you will see what I'm talking about.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 5

oops Here ya go!
LL

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 5
katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 5

When i did mine for the 1st time I used Debbie Brown's directions. I have several of her books and love all of them.

This was the 1st one i did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%