No Hook Atchmt, Can I Still Make Mmf? & Ribbon ????

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm by tiawanna02

hobbymommy Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, this is my first time to make fondant, I'm making the MMF but have no hook attachment for my mixer. How should I make it? Or CAN I? Also, I will be covering the cake with BC before I cover w/MMF. If I'm putting ribbon borders on the cake, do I still need to pre-grease my ribbons as I would before laying them on BC icing?

Thanks for any help.....

Crystal

P.S. Has anyone made a looped bow topper with MMF? Possible?

8 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 9

You can't spin that heavy thick "dough" through a blade or whisk...won't work. I think you're going to have to use your hands for this one. That's what I did when I used to make MMF.

cakes22 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 9

I never went near my KA when I made MMF. Kneaded with my hands and it turned out wonderfully. Takes a while, but it's great for your arms.

GayeG Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 9

I make MMF all the time - my recipe doesnt even call for a mixer ... just mix with a heavy duty spatula (well greased I might add) untill you cant - then grease up the ole' hands and knead away =} I used to make MFF and even then - I didnt use my mixer - I like to get on in there with my hands - where I feel I have more control!

cakefairy03 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 9

I do the same thing. I've never used a hook, just my hands. It will turn out fine! And I don't think you need to pre-grease your ribbons. I think it'd be possible to make a looped bow from MMF, but it may need a while to dry out and harden. I think gumpaste or a 50/50 mix would be better. HTH! Good luck!

CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 9

I have never made MMF with a mixer as pp said I used a silicone spatula until I can't then it's old fashioned hand kneading and works fantastic every time! All I use is MMF

hobbymommy Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 9

Okay then, I'll be using my hands.....hopefully I will succeed....wish me luck!

Thanks for all the responses!

Crystal

hilly Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_ash

I have never made MMF with a mixer as pp said I used a silicone spatula until I can't then it's old fashioned hand kneading and works fantastic every time! All I use is MMF

I make mine the same way, no mixer icon_smile.gif .

tiawanna02 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 9

a mixer is not needed, just continue to knead by hand

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%