Bride Added A Tier....what To Do?

Decorating By Melchas Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm by Melchas

Melchas Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone, I have a dilema that I could use some feed back on. I posted a thread about this last week. The bride got her final head count and decided to add a tier to the cake..12,9, and 6.
My concern and hers was that her wedding is at the beach and it's a 2hour drive so, I suggested doing a two tiered cake and adding a kitchen cake for the extra guests.
I thought we were on the same page, I e-mailed her last night to see which tier she wants on the side and she said "which ever one will be the easiest to put on when they get there."
The design of the cake dosen't allow for this, but I'm afraid if I tell her that and something happens on the way to the wedding she will blame me.
I use a support system that I have not ever had a problem with, but I have always deliverd the cakes and set them up myself.
Not sure what I should do. Any suggestions? Thanks in adavnce.

8 replies
nicki9774 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 9

Was the original design the 12 and 9? or the 6 and 9? Leave it the way you planned and put the extra cake on the side. W/out seeing what you planned on its a little hard to tell you how to get the cake there and it wouldn't be your fault if you are not delivering and setting the cake and put it in your contract.

Melchas Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 9

The origional design was actually a 12 an 8 with scroll work on the side and dots around the base of each tier and on the top edge of each tier with RI flowers in on every 4th dot. She added more guests so decided to add the top tier and chang ei tto 12, 9 and 6.
It's in my contract that I am not responsible for anything that happens after pick up as well as driving do's and don'ts.
I'm not sure how to package the top tier for traveling with the decorations on unless I use an 8 inch cake plate, but it will show when put on the cake.

cylstrial Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 9

I would call her and explain the situation about the 8 inch plate showing and just everything and see what she wants to do.

Melchas Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:13am
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much for the advice. I just spoke with the bride and she completely understood and was fine with the plate showing.
I guess I hear so many Bridzilla stories that I just asume a confrontation will arise over any problelms that occur.

Thanks again for your help!!!!

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 9

=o) Glad that it worked out! Just in case, I would make a note in her folder about the date and time that you called her and a quick explanation of what happened on the phone. You might even want to email her to confirm the conversation. That way if she gets upset at the way it looks, you've got proof that it happened.

Sorry, I've just heard a lot of stories on here... so I just always think CYA!

Melchas Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 9

I keep excellent records of my son's medical stuff the same way. I never thought about it for cakes, Great Idea! I made several mistakes with this and learn. Thankfully she has been really good to work with and very patience with me.
Thanks for the tips!

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif Don't forget to post a pic and let us know how it goes!

Melchas Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%