Getting My Cake Level!!

Decorating By ikklejo Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 3:01am by Kenzy

ikklejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikklejo Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 21

Hiya, just wondering if anyone haqd any good tips? I havent got a kitchen aid and am struggling to get my cakes level, anyone can help??

Thanks icon_smile.gif

20 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 21

You will find varying techiques here for levelling cakes. I use the Wilton small leveler - costs around $4 at Michaels. I also have a torpedo level that I use once the cake is filled to ensure it's completely level.

ikklejo Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 21

Thanks alot will try those icon_smile.gif

linsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linsa Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 21

I use the cake strips that make that cake rise evenly then I use the wilton cake leveler and then I actually use a level and serrated knife until it's perfect!

JensAddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JensAddiction Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

You will find varying techiques here for levelling cakes. I use the Wilton small leveler - costs around $4 at Michaels. I also have a torpedo level that I use once the cake is filled to ensure it's completely level.

Can you post links? I'm trying to figure this one out too, and I searched the site but couldn't find anything specific on leveling cakes. Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

ikklejo Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 21

wow sounds very effective will try too! icon_smile.gif

Thanks

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 21

Interesting i have never heard of the torpedo leveler?! Must look in into that!
I use the Wilton bake-even strips while baking then the wilton small leveler

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 21

I learned this one here on CC; gave it a try and it works great!

Remove the cake from the pan. Place 2 or 3 cardboards in the pan. Place the cake back in the pan. The cake is now slightly taller than the pan. Using the pan as a guide, slide off the top. And there you have it .... a PERFECTLY level cake!

I do this once in awhile when I have a cake that doesn't rise higher than the pan.

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 21

I have the strips but i used them maybe once or twice but I do use the wilton leveler every time - very easy - take only a few seconds.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 21

I use an Agbay deluxe! I get a perfectly level and torted cake every time and it's 100% reliable and stress free. Worth EVERY penny

ikklejo Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 21

Remove the cake from the pan. Place 2 or 3 cardboards in the pan. Place the cake back in the pan. The cake is now slightly taller than the pan. Using the pan as a guide, slide off the top. And there you have it .... a PERFECTLY level cake!

- Thats a really good one i will try that thanks icon_smile.gif

bsharp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsharp Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 21

I use the larger cake leveler and love it. Also put a liquid level on top of cake to make sure its level all the way around.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 21

Every time I used the wilton large leveler my cake was uneven. It's a real piece of crap. I'm ordering the agbay next month.

yazzie82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yazzie82 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm
post #15 of 21

I've been told to put a flower nail in while i bake the cake. I tried it and it didn't work i still had to level the cake myself by cutting it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:26pm
post #16 of 21

Flower nail, heating core, baking strips .... they will help REDUCE the amount of doming, but they won't eliminate it completely. They help the cake bake more evenly and uniform. So yeah .... you may still have to do some trimming but your cakes will bake better because of even heat distribution.

hollynme2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollynme2 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm
post #17 of 21

I just used my new Agbay leveller...WOW. I've never had such a beautiful result, and Maureen from Agbay is such a delight to work with!!

Stacey16303 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey16303 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:21pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikklejo

- Thats a really good one i will try that thanks icon_smile.gif

Great tip!! thumbs_up.gif Thanks so much! I LOVE this site! icon_lol.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:21am
post #19 of 21

I overfill my pans with batter so it will rise above the pan. I take fishing line and cut the cake off level with the pan.

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:51am
post #20 of 21

When I take the cake out of the oven, I take a clean towel and using my hand, smoosh the top down a bit. Learned that here on CC. icon_biggrin.gif

Kenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kenzy Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:01am
post #21 of 21

GREAT tip thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%