Danish Flag....a Lot Of Red!

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm by KatieKake

Kerry_Kake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 4

I have a request to do the Danish Flag on a 15x22" sheet cake. That is going to take a lot of red!!! Should I ice the cake in white first? Then pipe the red on in strips with the very large basket weave tip, then smooth? I'm trying to think of a way. It takes a lot of buttercream to cover that size cake and it takes a lot of red color to make it red red. I have an edible image printer but they don't want an image. They want the whole cake as the flag....no other options icon_sad.gif
So do you think what I said will work or do you have any other ideas?
I also have on hand 1 - 2lb tub of red fondant. Is that enough to cover it? This cake is due for this wednesday. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

3 replies
jammjenks Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

I have a request to do the Danish Flag on a 15x22" sheet cake. That is going to take a lot of red!!! Should I ice the cake in white first? Then pipe the red on in strips with the very large basket weave tip, then smooth? !

This is what I'd do.

Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 4

You are in the right track.

Btw, I haven't seen any youtube videos from you Kerry.

KatieKake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 4

I would air brush it myself. I can get a nice bright red, by air brushing, I go over it seveal times, so that the color builds up rather than trying to get the right color the first time. I also use Bakers Preferred gel red color, which I carefully delute in vodka, stirring it until it has all desolved in the vodka, before I put it in my air brush. If there is even a little piece of the gel, it will plug up the air brush. I do not like the red color I get with the air brush colors I have. They are all too dark, not a bright pretty red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%