Question About Getting Smooth Corners On A Square...

Decorating By abra526 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm by Cake4ever

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 9

I am having a heck of a time getting my corners on square cakes to look good. It seems like i spend more time on that than anywhere else on the cake. Sometimes, when i go back over the corners to try to smoothe them down, it will actually pull the icing away from the cake. I always frost room temp cakes, and i thin my BC a little to make it smooth easier. Does anyone have any tips for me??

8 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 9

I would love some tips in this area as well. I have a hard time getting them smooth, just like the OP.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 9

Get sugarshacks BC DVD and you'll have the smoothest corners you've ever seen. www.sugaredproductions.com Her DVDs are the best I have ever seen and very inespensive.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 9

serious_cakes has a youtube video on how she gets her corners done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyKkLwTE9NE&feature=channel_page

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks guys!!!

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 9

Here's a link to SeriousCakes video on you tube showing how she puts BC on square cakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyKkLwTE9NE&feature=channel_page

Hope it's helpful for you!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 9

I use my bench scraper to get all sides as straight as possible. Then I take 2 scrapers and just draw them straight up, starting at the bottom corner. You just make a sharp corner with the 2 scrapers and lay them gently to the bottom of the corner, and go straight up. Your goal is not to take off a lot of icing, just to make a sharp corner.

I use spakling scrapers. They come in all sizes, I use the smallest. Works for me. As with anything, it takes practice. thumbs_up.gif

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 9

I've been having problems with straight corners on sheet cakes for years. If I cant get it to work I just pipe a shell down the corner to cover it up. Works for me!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 9

I just thought of this, use your square pans upside down and practice on those corners, that way there is no pressure on you to finish the cake. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%