Application Of Dragees On Fondant And Etc..

Decorating By jedah Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm by Bluehue

jedah  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jedah Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys! am back!

i want ur opinions regarding the application of small, tiny dragees on fondant covered cake. How will i be able to put them on the fondant? i have read that i can use Royal icing which is a good idea, my only concern is that the dragees that i will be using are so small, i am afraid that if u use RI, the icing dot may be more visible than the dragees itself, hehehe! any other ideas or concerns? can i just use water? i dont know how to make edible glue used in fondant. This would be actually my first time making a fondant cake...hehehe! so i am so nervous! hahaha!

Another question...having said that it would be my first time doing a fondant covered cake, when shall i start putting the fondant on my cake and when shall i decorate the cake? i have read that i can make a fondant covered cake early on because the fondant is like a "sealant" for the cake..is this true? For example i need the cake on a Friday morning? what would be my plan of action? when should i cover the cake and when should i decorate it?

Waaa...sori for having so many questions, i am just so nervous about this cake...hahaha!

Well..hope to hear from u guys soon! i highly appreciate all ur thoughts! Thanks again and Take care always guys! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
 CanadianCakin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 3

ok you can use equal parts water and meringue powder as a 'glue' This works great for me!
As for your other question I have only done 1 fondant cake and it was just for practice...but I have a fondant cake for saturday and my very first wilton class thursday night and another cake for sunday so I would also like to see what others have to say....I would love to be able to do the fondant cake earlier

Bluehue  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 3

Hello Jedah,
Every cake i us dragees on i apply them as soon as i have covered my cake.
I don't use *fondant* per sae i use regalice (just a different kind of fondant) but find it easier to do whilst the *fondant* is still plyable.

I use the narrow end of a small chopstick (my treasured tool) icon_wink.gif
I gently push it into the fondant and straight away push my dragee into the little imprint - then as the fondant dries the little dragee is *stuck* there - with no mess or marks to be seen.

Regarding your other Queston - yes, you can cover your cake say 2 - 3 days before you need it - as long as it is totally covered - it will lock in the moisture of the cake.

If you are a bit pushed for time - make your cake - wrap it in a few layers of glad wrap - saran wrap and pop it in the fridge or freezer.
I find torting and covering a *cold* cake easier than one at room temp.

Hope this helps you Jedah.
Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%