Application Of Dragees On Fondant And Etc..

Decorating By jedah Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm by Bluehue

jedah Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys! am back!

i want ur opinions regarding the application of small, tiny dragees on fondant covered cake. How will i be able to put them on the fondant? i have read that i can use Royal icing which is a good idea, my only concern is that the dragees that i will be using are so small, i am afraid that if u use RI, the icing dot may be more visible than the dragees itself, hehehe! any other ideas or concerns? can i just use water? i dont know how to make edible glue used in fondant. This would be actually my first time making a fondant cake...hehehe! so i am so nervous! hahaha!

Another question...having said that it would be my first time doing a fondant covered cake, when shall i start putting the fondant on my cake and when shall i decorate the cake? i have read that i can make a fondant covered cake early on because the fondant is like a "sealant" for the cake..is this true? For example i need the cake on a Friday morning? what would be my plan of action? when should i cover the cake and when should i decorate it?

Waaa...sori for having so many questions, i am just so nervous about this cake...hahaha!

Well..hope to hear from u guys soon! i highly appreciate all ur thoughts! Thanks again and Take care always guys! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 3

ok you can use equal parts water and meringue powder as a 'glue' This works great for me!
As for your other question I have only done 1 fondant cake and it was just for practice...but I have a fondant cake for saturday and my very first wilton class thursday night and another cake for sunday so I would also like to see what others have to say....I would love to be able to do the fondant cake earlier

Bluehue Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 3

Hello Jedah,
Every cake i us dragees on i apply them as soon as i have covered my cake.
I don't use *fondant* per sae i use regalice (just a different kind of fondant) but find it easier to do whilst the *fondant* is still plyable.

I use the narrow end of a small chopstick (my treasured tool) icon_wink.gif
I gently push it into the fondant and straight away push my dragee into the little imprint - then as the fondant dries the little dragee is *stuck* there - with no mess or marks to be seen.

Regarding your other Queston - yes, you can cover your cake say 2 - 3 days before you need it - as long as it is totally covered - it will lock in the moisture of the cake.

If you are a bit pushed for time - make your cake - wrap it in a few layers of glad wrap - saran wrap and pop it in the fridge or freezer.
I find torting and covering a *cold* cake easier than one at room temp.

Hope this helps you Jedah.
Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%