Cake Balls, Check This Out

Decorating By majormichel Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm by bobwonderbuns

tabicat21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabicat21 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #31 of 50

Everything is mixed together (to the right consistancy), rolled into balls and then dipped in chocolate. There is endless possibilities.
However, mine look nothing like the website. That is amazing.

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #32 of 50

So, I just want to get this right, you take your scaps, roll anything into them, then roll into a ball, and dip in something? Thats how you make cake bites, balls, truffles....ect? Man, thats easy, i was thinking it was a big thing or something.

tabicat21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabicat21 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:36am
post #33 of 50

Very easy. Leftovers madeover.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #34 of 50

who would have ever thought, wow, going to have to try them some time. yes the ones on that website are gorgeous.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #35 of 50

I LOVE Devil's Food cake mixed with strawberry preserves.....dipped into extra dark chocolate w/ white choc. drizzle.......it's like super yummy choc. covered strawberries YUMMY!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #36 of 50

I tried making them once, and they were awful. I used carrot cake and canned frosting. I froze them, as directed, but when they thawed (were too hard to eat when frozen) they were a mushy mess. Are they always supposed to be frozen? icon_confused.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:01pm
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica970206

They are presented nicely for the camera!!!! I made cake balls once nd thought to myself, I really do not know if I like these or not, they are kinda strange, but then I thought does everyone else's taste like these? So, I dont know, once you taste a cake ball, you tasted them all, or is there like a high society flavor cake ball out there that is just to die for?? Overall, they do look nice, but for me, if they were truffles I would have been drooling, LMAO!!!!!

I just don't get them either... I've made them a few times with the same thought, "I really do not know if I like these..." I'm not crazy about the texture and I find them to be over-the-top sweet. I wish I could try some of the ones others rave about, so I'd know if I am doing something wrong, but how do you go wrong with mushing up cake scraps and buttercream?
And, yes, if they were truffles... icon_eek.gifthumbs_up.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #38 of 50

I feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience. icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, I DO like cake balls. I only made them once after going to bakerella's web site and getting her instructions. I didn't mix them properly, and the vanilla chocolate coating I used seized on me. They were butt ugly but the most DELICIOUS things I ever tasted! Being the mad genius that I am, I quickly ate every single one of them to destroy the evidence of their existence. Other than a burp, no one else was the wiser. Someday I'm gonna make REAL cake balls that are not only tasty but also presentable. Then I'll fight everyone for them and eat them all anyways. icon_biggrin.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #39 of 50

that was so coool

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:33am
post #40 of 50

I first made them for the "public" to go with my granddaughters 1st birthday cake (i have a picture in my file)....i took a couple that were left over to work...OMG....i am getting requests all the time....made baseballs for a littleleague team...golfballs..school colors..all different kinds of combinations....people absolutely love them....i have sold dozens of them....i have making them down to a science...can whip[ them out pretty fast now....i make alot of batches of cake mix and frosting combined and keep them in containers in my refrigerator so i can make up orders when asked ...they are great icon_biggrin.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:39am
post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

They are presented nicely for the camera!!!! I made cake balls once nd thought to myself, I really do not know if I like these or not, they are kinda strange, but then I thought does everyone else's taste like these? So, I dont know, once you taste a cake ball, you tasted them all, or is there like a high society flavor cake ball out there that is just to die for?? Overall, they do look nice, but for me, if they were truffles I would have been drooling, LMAO!!!!!

I just don't get them either... I've made them a few times with the same thought, "I really do not know if I like these..." I'm not crazy about the texture and I find them to be over-the-top sweet. I wish I could try some of the ones others rave about, so I'd know if I am doing something wrong, but how do you go wrong with mushing up cake scraps and buttercream?

The texture is "mushed up cake" mixed with frosting or other ingredients added in. You really have to play with it to adjust it to your liking. I use my KA and the dough hook to mash up the cake scraps, and start with a very small amount of frosting (or whatever you are adding) and mix and taste, and mix and taste, until you have a mix you like.

Then I roll mine up and set them on baking racks set over sheet pans and then melt some of the same frosting in the little bottles you use for candy making, and drizzle the frosting back and forth across each one. Let set and then package in foil candy cups, and box up. My clients love them.

So far the most requested flavors are carrot cake with minced pecan pieces and cream cheese frosting, and chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and drizzled with melted chocolate ganache.

I don't dip the cake truffles in chocolate the way most of the websites show. The drizzle over the top gives just a little bit of sweetness and doesn't take the top of your head off due to the sugar high..lol

BTW, when I am working on a new cake flavor, I will make cake truffles using the recipe and give them to people I know and work with to get their opinions. I get really good feedback and they get free treats icon_smile.gif

(There is a photo of my first carrot cake truffles in my photo gallery)

jojocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojocakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #42 of 50

All this talk of cake balls/truffles makes me want to try them. I have extra cake left over from a cake I did today...I think I'll give them a try.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone!!!!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

The texture is "mushed up cake" mixed with frosting or other ingredients added in. You really have to play with it to adjust it to your liking. I use my KA and the dough hook to mash up the cake scraps, and start with a very small amount of frosting (or whatever you are adding) and mix and taste, and mix and taste, until you have a mix you like.

Then I roll mine up and set them on baking racks set over sheet pans and then melt some of the same frosting in the little bottles you use for candy making, and drizzle the frosting back and forth across each one. Let set and then package in foil candy cups, and box up. My clients love them.

So far the most requested flavors are carrot cake with minced pecan pieces and cream cheese frosting, and chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and drizzled with melted chocolate ganache.

I don't dip the cake truffles in chocolate the way most of the websites show. The drizzle over the top gives just a little bit of sweetness and doesn't take the top of your head off due to the sugar high..lol

BTW, when I am working on a new cake flavor, I will make cake truffles using the recipe and give them to people I know and work with to get their opinions. I get really good feedback and they get free treats icon_smile.gif

See... I like your science, Ptanyer... I think the fact that you drizzle and don't dunk would make them more appealing for me. Your nailed it when you spoke of the sugar high. Like I said above, I wish I could taste someone's whose is considered yummy so that I'd know what a good "cake truffle" tastes like.

ptanyer Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:05am
post #44 of 50

Win, Thank you. I have some chocolate cake truffles in the refigerator right now! If I could send you one via internet I would be glad to icon_lol.gif

PS - I am a diabetic, so I really do know about things being so sweet that you feel like the top of your head will blow off icon_smile.gif

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #45 of 50

AGGGRRR, I was not notified of the many responses. I cannot take credit for those cake ball because that is not my website, for those who through it was mines. I am going to try make some of those.

majormichel Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

Your cakeballs looks yummy. So you don't dip the call ball in chocolate or buttercream. But rather just dizzle them on top with butteream or chocolate, to cut on down the sweetness.

ptanyer Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #47 of 50

Yes. If someone wanted them really sweet I would dip them. But no one that I made them for has asked for sweeter, they seem to love them just like they are.

majormichel Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:21pm
post #48 of 50

Thanks for answering me.

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:32pm
post #49 of 50

I once had a receipe for brownie mushed up with a little choco syrup added in and rolled in cocoa powder. I lost the receipe along time ago. Has anyone heard of these?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

AGGGRRR, I was not notified of the many responses. I cannot take credit for those cake ball because that is not my website, for those who through it was mines. I am going to try make some of those.

Me either!! icon_cry.gif My "watch this topic" button unclicked itself... icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%