Fondant Help Quick!!!please!

Decorating By imakecakes Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 1:27pm by aligotmatt

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 10

What can I do to get my fondant to stop cracking and breaking???? I have added a ton of crisco and some water but everytime I roll it out it cracks and breaks--the cake is due in .....AN HOUR! HELP ME, PLEASE!

Hail Mary full of Grace...

9 replies
imakecakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 10

Never mind..I am just going to throw this damn thing against the wall and be done with it!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 10

i dunno but maybe microwave or split up into smaller pieces and knead them individually then put back together into a big bit and knead again? I did the kneading bits and pieces once when it was a bit crumbly and it got me through

Sorry that is all i have got

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

i dunno but maybe microwave or split up into smaller pieces and knead them individually then put back together into a big bit and knead again? I did the kneading bits and pieces once when it was a bit crumbly and it got me through

Sorry that is all i have got

what type of fondant did you use???did you let the fondant rest after making it? I use MMF and have never had a problem like this...maybe you should make a new batch...hope you find the solution to your problem

imakecakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you...I already called her and told her this cake wasn't gonna work--luckily, I had told her from the beginning that I didn't know if I could do it, but that I would try. And, luckily again, this was a joke cake that the recipient wasn't expecting--so she was okay with it.

Now if I can just bring myself to take a pic to post in the disater section so everyone (including me someday--not today, but someday) can have a laugh and feel better about their attempts.

I just wish I had something to show after the hours and hours I have spent trying to make it work, ya know?

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecakes

Thank you...I already called her and told her this cake wasn't gonna work--luckily, I had told her from the beginning that I didn't know if I could do it, but that I would try. And, luckily again, this was a joke cake that the recipient wasn't expecting--so she was okay with it.

Now if I can just bring myself to take a pic to post in the disater section so everyone (including me someday--not today, but someday) can have a laugh and feel better about their attempts.

I just wish I had something to show after the hours and hours I have spent trying to make it work, ya know?

you could take the fondant off and cover with ganache!!!

Elise87 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 10

aw sorry it didn't work out. I use MMF and havn't had the problem with it drying and cracking before except just the once the first time i made fondant when i pre-made it like 4 days before i used it and i must not have wrapped it well or something and it was a bit stiff and i got relaly frustated cose i couldn't knead it properly so i just broke it up into little pieces, kneaded them individually to soften them up and then kneaded them all together again and it was fine

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 10

I watched FN cake challenge (reruns) the other day for the first time and even one of the pros had a problem with his fondant cracking, so I guess we can all have a bad day with fondant!

Elise87 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 10

oh yeh just to add on once i took too long after i rolled some to put it on the cake and when i did, it already had dried a bit and started to crack icon_sad.gif It's so frustrating!!!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 10

oooh I so feel your pain. My dad and I laugh about this terrible night years ago when I sat at his kitchen table cursing fondant. I was trying to cover my first cake with mmf, it was falling apart, so lumpy, I mean EVERYTHING was wrong about it. I cried, cursed fondant, threw the cake... ya know...

After a lot of practice, reading on here.. I'm pretty proficient in fondant, now. Don't give up!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%