Fondant Help Quick!!!please!

Decorating By imakecakes Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 1:27pm by aligotmatt

imakecakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 10

What can I do to get my fondant to stop cracking and breaking???? I have added a ton of crisco and some water but everytime I roll it out it cracks and breaks--the cake is due in .....AN HOUR! HELP ME, PLEASE!

Hail Mary full of Grace...

9 replies
imakecakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 10

Never mind..I am just going to throw this damn thing against the wall and be done with it!

Elise87 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 10

i dunno but maybe microwave or split up into smaller pieces and knead them individually then put back together into a big bit and knead again? I did the kneading bits and pieces once when it was a bit crumbly and it got me through

Sorry that is all i have got

itscake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

i dunno but maybe microwave or split up into smaller pieces and knead them individually then put back together into a big bit and knead again? I did the kneading bits and pieces once when it was a bit crumbly and it got me through

Sorry that is all i have got

what type of fondant did you use???did you let the fondant rest after making it? I use MMF and have never had a problem like this...maybe you should make a new batch...hope you find the solution to your problem

imakecakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you...I already called her and told her this cake wasn't gonna work--luckily, I had told her from the beginning that I didn't know if I could do it, but that I would try. And, luckily again, this was a joke cake that the recipient wasn't expecting--so she was okay with it.

Now if I can just bring myself to take a pic to post in the disater section so everyone (including me someday--not today, but someday) can have a laugh and feel better about their attempts.

I just wish I had something to show after the hours and hours I have spent trying to make it work, ya know?

itscake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecakes

Thank you...I already called her and told her this cake wasn't gonna work--luckily, I had told her from the beginning that I didn't know if I could do it, but that I would try. And, luckily again, this was a joke cake that the recipient wasn't expecting--so she was okay with it.

Now if I can just bring myself to take a pic to post in the disater section so everyone (including me someday--not today, but someday) can have a laugh and feel better about their attempts.

I just wish I had something to show after the hours and hours I have spent trying to make it work, ya know?

you could take the fondant off and cover with ganache!!!

Elise87 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 10

aw sorry it didn't work out. I use MMF and havn't had the problem with it drying and cracking before except just the once the first time i made fondant when i pre-made it like 4 days before i used it and i must not have wrapped it well or something and it was a bit stiff and i got relaly frustated cose i couldn't knead it properly so i just broke it up into little pieces, kneaded them individually to soften them up and then kneaded them all together again and it was fine

2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 10

I watched FN cake challenge (reruns) the other day for the first time and even one of the pros had a problem with his fondant cracking, so I guess we can all have a bad day with fondant!

Elise87 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 10

oh yeh just to add on once i took too long after i rolled some to put it on the cake and when i did, it already had dried a bit and started to crack icon_sad.gif It's so frustrating!!!

aligotmatt Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 10

oooh I so feel your pain. My dad and I laugh about this terrible night years ago when I sat at his kitchen table cursing fondant. I was trying to cover my first cake with mmf, it was falling apart, so lumpy, I mean EVERYTHING was wrong about it. I cried, cursed fondant, threw the cake... ya know...

After a lot of practice, reading on here.. I'm pretty proficient in fondant, now. Don't give up!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%