Bc Topsy-Turvy Question

Decorating By in2cakes2 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm by in2cakes2

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:27am
post #1 of 6

Hi all, I am planning on making a Dora theme TT next week for my DD 4th b-day and I was wondering if anyone has made a TT covered in BC instead of fondant and theresult.TIA

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:00am
post #2 of 6

BC works like a charm for Topsy Turvy cakes. All of mine are done in IMBC. I find it much easier to create the sharper edges and angles. Trying to cover those in fondant scares me. icon_sad.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:20am
post #3 of 6

I made one week before last - my first Topsy Turvy -- and I was really pleased with it. It's the Mardi Gras cake in my photos.

I just iced and decorated both tiers separately, then placed the top one on the bottom one, added the border and drove a pointed stake through both into the base.

Here's a great video:

cnhiatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cnhiatt Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:28am
post #4 of 6

I've only made one topsy turvey cake, and at first I covered it in buttercream, but it fell, so then I covered the part I salvaged in fondant. There are pictures in my photos. I thought the buttercream was much more difficult than the fondant, but my buttercream skills are a little weak.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 6

I have done 2 of them so far, both in buttercream and no problems at all. It works just fine!

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone your cakes are great! I am doing fondant decorations but really want to do this in buttercream. So now I feel better about it and if itdoesn't look good then I'll just go w/ fondant. Once again thanks thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%