Pricing Question ~~~ Any Help Greatly Appreciated!!

Decorating By macciacae Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 4:06am by traci

macciacae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macciacae Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 7

Ok all the information that my customer gave me is that he wants a 2 foot cake by 2 foot cake, so what would you charge as a base price for decorating this cake just basic with buttercream icing. Thanks

6 replies
BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 7

2 foot by two foot seems like an odd request. I am horrible at pricing and always undercut myself far from what many others say here...it's just if I gave those prices I wouldn't have anyone ordering cakes. That being said I think it depends on if you are haveing 3 layers or more, which requires it to be filled. Also the flavors help determine the cost. I know when someone oerders and 8in round that is 4in high the cost goes up if they want PB Cup filling, or cookies and cream or german chocolate, rather than just plain buttercream. I try to double the cost of my ingredients...hope that helps somehow...

Also, don't forget how much a board and box costs, sometimes that is upwards of $8.

Thanks,
Sarah

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:37am
post #3 of 7

2 feet??? icon_confused.gif i've never heard of someone asking for that. maybe you need to explain to him what sizes your cakes come in.

2 foot by 2 foot is 24" by 24"...that's more than a 1/2 sheet...which serves over 40 people.

i would be sure that he wants that size before i started the cake. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:39am
post #4 of 7

24x24" single layer cake, when cut in standard 2x2x2" pieces, means the cake will be cut in 12 rows by 12 columns = 144 servings times your normal per serving rate. This would be in the $300 +/- range for me.

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #5 of 7

Let's see 2 x 2 that's about 1 1/8 sheet -
I charge $30 for a 1/4 sheet (single layer) - more for double or triple layer
so.. $120 ish

That's a rather large cake to be a single sheet. What's it for?

macciacae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macciacae Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:00am
post #6 of 7

I actually thought it was a odd request also, but it is for a suprise party, he didn't tell me how many guests, but I think that he is going for the wow factor, but I don't know if he knows how much it is going to cost. I'm thinking in the range of $100.00 - $120.00 for a very basic cake, and if he wants a specific design or something, it is going to cost more.

Now thinking about it I am hoping that he wants a 2' x2' flat cake, and not a 2' flat and 2' high, that will just be AWFUL to do and to deliver

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #7 of 7

I agree with indydebi...definitely in the 300.00 range for something like this. 100.00-120.00 seems way to cheap for such a big cake.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%