Help...carving My First Cake

Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 7:03am by chellescountrycakes

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #1 of 5

When you freeze the cake to carve it how long dou u have 2 let it sit out before you eat it(so its not like concrete cutting into it)?

Any other tips also from people that have done this before would be alot of help.

Thanks

4 replies
tinygoose Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:28am
post #2 of 5

I don't freeze my cakes before I carved them, I just chill them in the fridge. The best cake to carve is pound cake or butter cakes work fine too. I don't carve cake mix cakes, but some people do.

audrey0522 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #3 of 5

Do you have a chocolate cake recipe that is good for carved cakes?
Thanks!

sweetsadiecakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 5

I dont freeze mine either. I use the Duncan Hines recipe that is on the side of most of their boxes (pound cake) and the few cakes I've carved worked out just fine with the pound cake recipe.

chellescountrycakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:03am
post #5 of 5

I just buy the cheapest (.88 betty crocker) at walmart, its the moist deluxe or something, I always buy moist. sometimes if I have coupons I buy the duncan hines.
But either way, I cook them, cool them, and cut them. I dont chill or freeze. I just cut and go. sometimes I crumb coat before sometimes I dont.

If you look at my pictures, all of those are cut cakes. some betty some duncan, some are a mix of the two in the same pan. LOL

The my little pony one is by far the most detailed on cuts. it was simply cooled. one was still warm in the center when I cut it. and the tail/body part that is cut from the middle, that was cut well after I started decorating. I forgot to cut it. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%