Jodie And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Weekend..

Lounge By JodieF Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 2:57am by michellenj

JodieF Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:11am
post #1 of 20

I had to do 3 New York cheesecakes for a luncheon for the summer school staff yesterday, and my 6 qt. Kitchenaid mixer died. The DH took it apart and some of the teeth have broken on one of the gears, so, at least it can be fixed.
But, today, right now my 21 year old son is in the hospital in Intensive Care. icon_cry.gif He had his tonsils out 2 1/2 weeks ago and has been doing great. It can be a very rough surgery on an adult. He had gone back to where he lives (just graduated college and was staying there this summer). Yesterday he had a some bright bleeding and went to the ER, just like he had been told to. They watched him and sent him home when it stopped, telling him the scabs had come off.
Today he had serious bleeding and went back to the hospital. He was throwing up all the blood he was swallowing. They couldn't get it to stop and wanted to take him to the OR to put him under and get a really good look at what was going on. When they put in the breathing tube he started breathing profusely. Turned out it was an artery (the rarest but most serious risk from a tonsillectomy). He lost 2000 ml of blood before they could stop it. They had to suction his lungs and start immediate transfusions.
But, thank goodness, he's doing fine now. They've repaired the artery. He's in Intensive Care overnight, and will stay in the hospital for a few days, and then I'll bring him home to rest.
I've never come this close to losing a child. I'm sitting in this hotel room and I don't know what to do with myself. I'm just so stunned right now.

Jodie

19 replies
Mme_K Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:18am
post #2 of 20

OMG! Thank goodness they've resolved the problem. I'm glad to hear he will be OK. I'm sending you (((((hugs)))). I think you could use them right now..... Tomorrow will be a better day! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #3 of 20

I'm just ready to cry, reading your story. You never think something as "simple" as that kind of surgery could result in something like this. Big hugs to ya, mom, and hang in there. We're all with you in mind and spirit! thumbs_up.gif

Suzycakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #4 of 20

Hang in there Jodie - my prayers are with you too! And what a great son you have raised to be aware and responsible to 'do as the Dr. says!" It sounds like he is in the best area possible with a responsible team at the hospital to be able to take care of his situation so quickly. I know you have to be at your wits ends sitting and waiting -- but I pray that the morning light will bring your son in a much better position and that you can spend hours with him tomorrow!

Keep the faith!

Suze

umgrzfn Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:12am
post #5 of 20

Prayers and thoughts from my family!!!!

Ohara Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:52am
post #6 of 20

Jodie I am so sorry! What a scary thing. Good to know that they fixed the artery and that he will be fine. Keep us posted on his recovery! ((((((HUGS)))))

Deb_ Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 20

Oh Jodie, how very scary for you all. I'm happy they found the problem and were able to repair his artery.

I'm sending you tons of good wishes and prayers that he'll be up and about again really soon!

Hugs to you cake buddy!
Deb icon_smile.gif

dailey Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 20

how scary! thank GOD he went in and they got it under control!

Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 20

I'm glad that you all acted fast. Atleast he is all good now. Cheer up Jodie.

aquamom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 20

Thinking of you. Hang in there and know you are in our thoughts and prayers. So glad this he is doing better.

vtcake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 20

Prayers from Vermont!

OfficerMorgan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #12 of 20

This happened to my cousin! He was just telling me about this last week. He was fine, and then all of the sudden blood was gushing from his mouth, uncontrollable and a lot of it. Like your son, he lost a ton of blood. He got to the hospital and they fixed whatever is wrong.

I think this is somewhat common-even though you are scared, take comfort in the fact that this does happen and he will be OK.

Naturepixie Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 20

OMG!!! I'm so sorry to hear this. As a mom of three boys that would be very scary.. I'm glad he's doing better now. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.. Hugs!!

Katie-Bug Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #14 of 20

How scary, I do hope he is still doing better. I know you must be a basket of nerves. Praying things are getting better! thumbs_up.gif

JodieF Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #15 of 20

They moved Adam out of ICU last evening. He's feeling much better and getting to eat soft foods. But, his blood levels still aren't great (not surprising since he lost about 1/3 of his total blood volume). He's having another blood transfusion right now, which should help.

If his levels come up, he can come home tomorrow. I just found out they have free wireless in the hospital, so I went and grabbed my laptop.

I need cake....chocolate....*lol* comfort food! But, I sure feel better today compared to Sunday!

Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers. I so love my CC family!

Jodie

Franluvsfrosting Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #16 of 20

I'm glad he's doing better! That sounded so scary, I don't blame you for wanting comfort food! Praying for your family.

nannie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #17 of 20

So glad he is doing better.

Best wishes to you both.

(((HUGS)))

Mme_K Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:01am
post #18 of 20

I'm so glad he's feeling better. He's sure to bounce back quickly, especially once he gets home. Take care of yourselves and make sure you get that chocolate cake! You deserve all the comfort you can get! thumbs_up.gif

JodieF Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:10am
post #19 of 20

We're home! It was up for grabs whether or not they'd let him leave today. His hemoglobin levels barely went up, even with his 5th blood transfusion. But, his color is great, he's eating well and he's not dizzy at all. His throat is healing well. So, they let him come home. Being 21 and healthy sure didn't hurt. He has to do nothing but rest and he can't be alone for the next week or so.
I'm totally exhausted and emotionally drained, but so so joyous! I almost lost my son, but here he is, sitting next to me. Life is good!

I still want chocolate though!

Jodie icon_biggrin.gif

michellenj Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:57am
post #20 of 20

I'm glad he's home and on the mend. How awful. Today my daughter asked me what I was afraid of, and honestly, the only thing that scares me is something hurting her or her brother. Go have some chocolate!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%