How Do I Make This ???

Decorating By rhopar33 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 1:45pm by all4cake

rhopar33 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #1 of 9

I am making my sister's wedding cake in August and my mom really likes the attached cake. Could someone please tell me how to make the "rippled" look in the fondant draping?

Thanks!
Rhonda
LL

8 replies
jaybug Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 9

I'm not really sure but it looks like there may be ropes of fondant under the drape. icon_rolleyes.gif

rhopar33 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:25am
post #3 of 9

Thatr's an ecellent observation; I would have never guessed that. I was thinking maybe it was dried with dowel rods underneath then plaxced on the cake, but I figured it would get to dry and not be pliable enough to work with.

Anypone else have any ideas?

khkakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 9

It almost looks like it was folded like a paper fan and then placed on the cake. The creases are so sharp I wonder if it is possible to get that with placing fondant ropes under the fondant drape?

rhopar33 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 9

Yea, I'm just not sure how this was done. Anyone else out there with anuy idea as to how this was done?

Thanks!

2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 9

If you used fondant ropes, you would have to make sure that you made the rope in a triangle shape so you would get a nice crease. You wouldn't want a rounded surface on the rope under the drape. Of course, I've never done this, but it is how I would try it!

ninatat Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 9

that interesting because it does show the layers of the cake, hmmmmm wonder if they did it with dowels and removed them after on the cake, hm but how would they have done the top. maybe on the counter with dowels let it set up andthewitonthecakereallyfast. lol beautiful cake

artscallion Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 9

I think they are triangle shaped ropes. You can tell by looking at the very bottom edge of the 5th & 6th ropes from the left. You can make these triangle ropes easily with a clay extruder.

all4cake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 9

I've got it!

The piece was made on the counter/tabletop with dowels or ropes and allowed to dry. When time to place on cake, 2 people held it on either side while the 3rd person used a steamer to make it pliable enough for positioning...(creating the wet lookof it as well)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%