Anyone Buy Satin Ice By The Case?

Business By FromScratch Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm by Mabma80

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:26am
post #1 of 29

I remember someone saying that buying satin ice by the case direct from the supplier was a good deal, and I was wondering if anyone who does this could answer some questions... like how many 20 lb buckets are in a case, and how much it ran you, and how long did it take to get your product?

Thanks for any insight before I give them a call. I've finally reached the point where I can't stand to make fondant anymore...

28 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 29

Good question.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #3 of 29

I buy it from them by the case but I prefer the 5 lb buckets because I think it keeps better and I can mix the colors if I need too. I also use their gumpaste. It runs me around $150.00 with shipping. Their cases are 40 lbs. It would cost less for 2 20 lbs of Satin Ice though. And I get it within 3 days.

HTH
Jo-Ann

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #4 of 29

On a side note, I just tried Satin Ice and love it. It's so much easier to work with than Pettinice.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #5 of 29

Hmmm...I get Satin Ice through rest. supply in my area for about $45 per 20# bucket, so $150 for a 40# cake seems kind of high. Maybe the cases by weight are different though. I go through about 80# a month and spend about $200 each month. Maybe try a local supplier?

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:08am
post #6 of 29

As I said I buy the 5 pound buckets which are higher priced than the 20 lb buckets. Plus I very seldom buy all white. I mix it up with the colors and the gumpaste which also cost more. I like the 5 pound so I choose to pay the higher price.

iamlis Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_ann

As I said I buy the 5 pound buckets which are higher priced than the 20 lb buckets. Plus I very seldom buy all white. I mix it up with the colors and the gumpaste which also cost more. I like the 5 pound so I choose to pay the higher price.

So that is the price through Satin Ice directly? Just wondering! Thanks!

FromScratch Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:18am
post #8 of 29

I am going to call them in the morning and I'll let you know what the cost is. I can get a 20# bucket for $46 too, but I have to pay shipping. Do they charge you shipping if you order direct? Unfortunately I don't know of anywherelocal that sells the 20 pound buckets, and the cake supply store around here is a rape job.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #9 of 29

I bought 20# white for fifty something and 20# black for ninety something. But I paid retail price and tax at a distributor. That ninety bucks is still smartin'--ouch. But I probably could get a better price, I wasn't shopping for price, I just needed a little quantity.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:21am
post #10 of 29

I got mine at a restaurant supplier. Call around maybe.

iamlis Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:24am
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

I am going to call them in the morning and I'll let you know what the cost is. I can get a 20# bucket for $46 too, but I have to pay shipping. Do they charge you shipping if you order direct? Unfortunately I don't know of anywherelocal that sells the 20 pound buckets, and the cake supply store around here is a rape job.

No Kidding icon_smile.gif I went in to pick up some Choco Satin Ice at our little cake shop and they wanted $18 for a 2# bucket....I SWEAR!

I actually like Satin Ice gumpaste too, I can't get it locally though so I am stuck paying shipping-with shipping its still cheaper to do that then get it locally. BUT, I do like to support my local cake shop by buying other things there though!

PLEASE POST WHAT YOU FIND OUT icon_smile.gif

iamlis Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:26am
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I bought 20# white for fifty something and 20# black for ninety something. But I paid retail price and tax at a distributor. That ninety bucks is still smartin'--ouch. But I probably could get a better price, I wasn't shopping for price, I just needed a little quantity.

Don't feel bad! That black should last you a while icon_smile.gif

My poor hands can appreciate some pre-mixed colors every now and again!

FromScratch Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #13 of 29

I'm hoping that buying it direct will save me some $$I already pay 50 sumthin' with shipping so I'm hoping to shave a bit off of that. I'll keep you all updated whenI hear. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:32am
post #14 of 29

I know... that's pretty much what they were asking for the Satin Ice... I almost fell over. There's NO F'en way I'm spending that much for a teeny bucket of black satin ice.

I would love to get a mixed case of colors... Jo-ann... are you saying that they let you mix up the colors in a case? That would rock my world. I am so tired of mixing up dark colors of fondant custom.

iamlis Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #15 of 29

EXACTLY what I wanted to find out from her...if she can buy directly from Satin Ice an assortment of colors-that would rock!

Also, does anyone know what there biggest Gum Paste pail is size wise?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:24am
post #16 of 29

i emailed them a while back, but never ordered...they will let you mix a case of colors.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:47am
post #17 of 29

Just to let you knwo at previous ICES conventions I was able to order mixed colors in cases for like 40% off or something and FREE SHIPPING so if you are going to ICES find out if Satin Ice will be there this year and place your order then - huge savings.

FromScratch Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #18 of 29

Well I talked to them and they said that two 20# buckets of white would be $110.00 plus shipping (which would be $16.35 for me but I am close to NY so it could be different depending on your location). It's still cheaper for me to order through Global Sugar Art... I save about $10.00. I can't even get that if I shop at the local supply shops so I'm going to stick with that. Alan sells SI at wholesale prices and I certainly can't beat it just yet. Maybe if I ever get to an ICES convention and can get a steal I will hop on that and order a bunch, but for now this will have to work for me. icon_smile.gif

iamlis Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #19 of 29

Great idea about convention guys, if you are driving in especially! Caljava runs some GREAT deals on Fondx too, which I personally think is good too-maybe just a bit soft-but tastes good and pliable enough.

Maybe I need to just hire a summer helper to knead my white buckets into deeper hues icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:08pm
post #20 of 29

LOL... buying red and black is worth any expense if you ask me... also... if you need a deep color, adding a little tylose will give you back some of the body of the fondant you lose by adding so much color (and hence glycerine) to the mix.

FromScratch Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:28am
post #21 of 29

even with the 10% global is still cheaper for me... by just a tad.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:12am
post #22 of 29

Jeanne,

I'm surprised that Satin Ice would sell directly to you. 1st time i called they said sure no problem. Then i took a break for a couple of years, called them again to find pricing out (working with a small cake shop here) figured my husband was going to be in the area and could just pick up my order. NO they told be we don't sell to the consumer anymore, you have to buy from a distributor. They wouldn't even ship it.

So i buy from global. The cake shop that i work with, has to buy from their distributor and they are paying as much for fondant as i am. Thats why most of these small cake shops are so expensive.

FromScratch Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm
post #23 of 29

Oh I completely understand why the local shops have to sell it so high. They can't buy in wholesale amounts for the shear fact they can't store it all and it wouldn't sell in a timely manner. Satin Fine Foods said they'd have no problem at all selling it to me and shipping it via UPS though. Maybe you caught someone on a bad day or a newbie? The woman I talked to gave me numbers for local vendors who recently got shipments of 20# buckets (she said didn't want me to get old product LOL) as well so I could call around and price shop and possibly save the shipping costs. She was very helpful. Still, direct from them they were they most expensive option. With shipping it was just over $63.00 per 20# bucket... local shops were $60 and from global it was $56.13 (or something close to that) shipping included. I can't beat Alan's prices and I just love GSA so I have no issue giving him my business. If I place an order in the morning I get it in 2 days... can't beat that with a stick I tell you. I had to order some other things too so it was a win win for me. icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #24 of 29

well, i order all mine from Global, or when i'm lucky enough go directly to his shop. Wonderful place to visit and his prices on Chocopan and Satin Ice can't be beat. I also, get my shipments within two days. Unless a holiday throws me off icon_smile.gif Of course i'm only 3 hours away, and my son is starting school up there in the fall.

Damn not only will i be broke paying for school, i'll be broke buying cake stuff icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #25 of 29

oooooh... you are a lucky lucky person!! I'm not that far either and I've thought about making the trek one day. Like stepping into the promised land... icon_lol.gif

I'm not worthy!!

Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #26 of 29

Has anyone tried www.intotheoven.com. That's where I bought two 5lb buckets once. Not bad.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #27 of 29

I have yet to try Satin Ice. I have been using Pettinice. After reading this thread I think I am going to have to try it. Can melted white chocolate be added to Satin Ice?

peg818 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

oooooh... you are a lucky lucky person!! I'm not that far either and I've thought about making the trek one day. Like stepping into the promised land... icon_lol.gif

I'm not worthy!!

I need to make a list every time i go in there. I've only been in a couple of times and found i need a list or my credit card might self destruct icon_smile.gif

If you ever get the chance by all means make the trek you can't be that far from there. Maybe you need to go on a camping trip in the Adirondacks and then just make a deter.

Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #29 of 29

You can add anything to it I believe. It's regular fondant, just easier to color and handle. It's just the best stuff to use I think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%