Rkt Attached To Cake

Decorating By ChiweenieChic Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm by CanadianCakin

ChiweenieChic Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #1 of 6

I am making a Thomas the Train cake using the Wilton 3D pan. I noticed that Thomas actually has a square front, while the pan has a rounded front. Is it possible to make an attachment for the front made out of RKT? Will it stick to the cake using BC? Also....is it okay to refridgerate a cake that has fondant pieces on it?

Thanks!

5 replies
jlynnw Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 6

Are you covering the cake completely in fondant? I would make the RKTs with a dowel horizontally in them to secure in the cake. A long one almost the length of the train and then finish it. I have never tried it but that is how I would attempt to do so. HTH

Rubiees76 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #3 of 6

Hey Girl,

Well I have always been told that RKT can be used as a medium on your cake for whatever reason...as lond as it it edible it is ok to use. Make the peice you need and attach it. If you are working strictly with buttercream it may not stick...you would have to crumbcoat it first, refridgerate until firm then Ice very carefully. I have also been told to never refridgerate a cake with fondant because of moisture. I hope this works out for you!! Good Luck!!!!

ChiweenieChic Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:00am
post #4 of 6

The cake is mostly BC, but the black parts I am using black satin fondant. I never thought of using the dowels. That sounds like it will work. Thanks!

Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:34am
post #5 of 6

I've refrigerated all my fondant cakes with no problems. I use Satin Ice.

CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 6

For the 3d pablo cake i did his feet and arms were RKT I used dowels to hold them on and it worked great. That cake was BC and had some fondant/gum paste accents (50/50) I refrigerated him and he turned out fine!
I normally don't refrigerate but it's been so hot here it's the only way I can get my BC to crust without waiting for 12 hours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%