Help With Attachment Ideas For Homemade Surfboard Decos!!!!

Decorating By T2112 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm by beachcakes

T2112 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 6

Will be doing a cake with surfboards for my son's 11th birthday next month (July 12). Planing on making the surfboards out of gummy tape like candies, striped gum (if I can find it) and air heads candy. Now, here are my questions...... First, any ideas as to how I can make them stand upright?? Second, what about using some kind of edible medium that I can attach them to and then what could I use to attach them to the medium?? I had a thought about using fondant or gum paste but I know ZERO about either of these mediums and don't know if they'd work or if they have any taste to them?? So, if anyone out there can help me, I'd so very much appreciate it!! Thanks!! In CT

5 replies
Ursula40 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #2 of 6

Why don't you make decorated cookies instead? They are stable enough to stand upright, can be eaten and taste good as well

beachcakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #3 of 6

cookies are a great idea. I'm not sure how you would get gummy tape to stand upright; you'd have to back them with something. I would suggest getting some fondant or gumpaste and trying it; it's kind of like working with play-doh. Gumpaste dries very hard and although edible, is not really meant to be eaten. Here's a surfboard cake I made with gumpaste surfboards http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1249118

T2112 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 6

what's the difference btwn fondant and gumpaste?? I was also wondering what they taste like should you eat them! That cake was great by the way and I was wondering if you used edible ink pens to do the designs on the boards??

I'm thinking about the cookie idea but wondering how I might form that surf board shape well with out a cutter.

thanks for the ideas and I'll take any others out there!!

1234me Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 6

If it were me, I would cute them out a of fondant/tylose mixture. Let tehm dry and they will stand whereever you want icon_smile.gif Beachcakes - your cake is adorable!

beachcakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 6

Here's a helpful link to describe the difference http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613735-difference.html+gumpaste+fondant

Thanks for the comments! icon_smile.gif Some of the surfboards were decorated with edible markers, some gel color mixed w/ a little vodka & painted on.

I used a cookie cutter that i found at kitchengifts.com. You could always cut a template of a surfboard out of card stock and use that. It's a pretty simple shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%