Hint For Measuring Depth For Dowels/supports

Decorating By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 5:54pm by Rylan

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 7

I was looking for any info on creating a Topsy Turvy cake (before I came here, of course), and found some step-by-step instructions. One of the things mentioned was to measure the depth you need for your supports, instead of inserting the support, marking it, cutting it, washing it, matching it to the other supports, etc. - just use a seamstress ruler. It's a metal ruler, usually about 6" long, with marks every inch, and a slide in the middle. You can accurately mark the depth, transfer the info to all the supports equally and don't have to get the support covered in cake and icing. And it goes thru the dishwasher just fine.

You can get these at Wal-Mart in the sewing section, or any sewing store. Mine cost $1.00 at Wal-Mart.


6 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 7

thanks for the tip

Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:51am
post #3 of 7

I use bubble tea straw. Just push, take out and cut the excess with scissors.

pattycakesnj Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:21am
post #4 of 7

RylanTy, so many people use bubble tea straws, where can you get them?

Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 7

Patty, I get them from CA (I'm from Las Vegas). They are usually found in asian supermarkets/grocery stores.

There is a thread somewhere and it has a lot of online links incase you can't find them locally.

pattycakesnj Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 7

thanks Rylanty, I will check ou the asian markets around here

Rylan Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 7

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%