High Ratio Shortening Question

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 2:11am by __Jamie__

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 13

I cannot find this anywhere, and I know I can order it online. But I was wondering if there is any way to make regular Crisco perform the same way. Can I use heavy whipping cream as my liquid and add meringue powder to get the same smooth texture and better stability that high ratio is known for?

Is it worth it? Or should I just wait for my online order of h.r.!?

12 replies
charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 13

lrlt2000. I'm a newbie to this forum but i've decorated cakes for the past 10 years now. for the past 8 years i used nothing but crisco. Then i noticed they changed recipe to no trans fat. It seemed to throw my recipe off. I now use the CK brand hi ration shortening. Trust me when i say you will not believe the difference. Your icing will come out so much better. Creamier, no greasy after taste. Just so much better. It is worth the wait

lrlt2000 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you! I'm getting nervous! It just shipped yesterday and I am not sure how long it will take. The wedding cake is due Saturday evening and I need it completely done by Friday night. I guess I could get my fondant details made, my cakes baked/torted/filled. . . I was hoping to get all of my batches of icing made today or tomorrow, but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow night or Thursday!!!!!

YIKES! icon_cry.gif

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 13

If you get all your other work done like baking the cakes and your fondant figures you should be fine. Also, I do still use heavy cream as my liquid with the hi ratio shortening. Good luck

lrlt2000 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you! It came yesterday and I made my frostings and fillings today--O-M-G is all I have to say! It makes a HUGE difference in the consistency. I really could not believe it would make that big of a difference, but wow does it!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:42am
post #6 of 13

Hi-ratio is like Crisco on steroids. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Some hi-ratio recipes you might like:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6409358.html

If you need a crusting Crisco recipe, Indydebi's uses Dream Whip to compensate for 0 transfat and add stabilizers:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

HTH

P.S. You can easily freeze hi-ratio in ziplock bags (in portions for your favorite b/c recipe).

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 13

Wow JanH Thanks that is just what I was looking for. That is a ton of information in all those links. I don't know how you always manage to do it but your links all work back together with great information. It's like a treasure scavenger hunt for knowledge. I always look forward when you post a link and I always grab another cup of tea and settle in for the read.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

Thank you! It came yesterday and I made my frostings and fillings today--O-M-G is all I have to say! It makes a HUGE difference in the consistency. I really could not believe it would make that big of a difference, but wow does it!

Where are you located that you shipped over the summer? Did it make it ok? And who did you order from? I am in Texas and have been nervous about ordering on-line and having it shipped with this heat. I am worried that it will melt in transit. I am closer to San Antonio than any other larger city and can't find a supplier around here that carries it. icon_sad.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Wow JanH Thanks that is just what I was looking for. That is a ton of information in all those links. I don't know how you always manage to do it but your links all work back together with great information. It's like a treasure scavenger hunt for knowledge.

Sadsmile, you are too kind. icon_biggrin.gif Glad I was able to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I always look forward when you post a link and I always grab another cup of tea and settle in for the read.

...Yes, I'm compelled to be as accurate and complete as possible. icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 13

I have tried searching for this in the forums but can't find the answer. icon_cry.gif I recently purchased the Target brand of shortening and it contains trans fat so my question is: Is shortening that contains trans fat the same as high ratio shortening?

TIA

Sheryl

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 13

No saap, not at all. Why? No clue...I've read many threads saying this though. One has nothing to with the other.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:19am
post #12 of 13

_Jamie_ thank you very much for your quick reply! I got very excited thinking I had come across this at Target--oh well. Another question, is the shortening with trans fat better to use than shortening with no trans fat when making frosting?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:11am
post #13 of 13

I don't have a lot of experience with shortening based BCs....but from my understanding, transfat is the better. Crisco users started complaining about the quality of their BC when Crisco dropped the transfat from their product. I know there are some experts who will chime in here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%