Said I Was Too Expensive!!!

Decorating By diane Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 2:49am by indydebi

diane Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 7

got a call from my husband's squadron...they want a full sheet cake for a military ceremony. no problem...i do them all the time.
he asks how much i charge for a full sheet cake. i tell him $125.00 i usually give discounts to military, so i figured this would be a good price.
well...i never hear back from him. then my husband tells me the other day that i wouldn't be doing the cake.
i never was told why, but i kinda knew that it was a price issue.
well...i really didn't want to do it anyway because i'm in school full time and if i do take the time to do a cake this size, it will be worth it...and i think $125.00 is a steal! icon_eek.gificon_cool.gif

if they want to pay store-bought prices...then they will get store-bought cake! thumbsdown.gif

what do you think??? icon_confused.gif

6 replies
CakeForte Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 7

Ummm....full size sheet cakes cost just about that in my local grocery store. Let them have their store cake, you want to be paid what you're worth.

costumeczar Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 7

People are cheap, don't let it get you. They think "$125 for a cake??" but they're not thinking how big it is or how many it serves. Let them enjoy their frozen grocery store cake...

bakermommy4 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

People are cheap, don't let it get you. They think "$125 for a cake??" but they're not thinking how big it is or how many it serves. Let them enjoy their frozen grocery store cake...

I agree totally...and they never seem to think about how you customize the design to their exact needs and wants...not cookie cutter designs like they'd find at their local grocery store.

indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 7

If you run into this a lot, you can start prefacing the pricing with "A full sheet cake serves 100 people, so at only $1.25 a serving, the price to feed ONE. HUNDRED. PEOPLE. will run you $125."

diane Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:36am
post #6 of 7

they know it feeds 100 people, but they...for some reason, don't compute that in their heads. i've seen the grocery store cakes many military people get and they are no where near what i do. military cakes is one of my specialties...and i put a lot into them.

i think my "military discount" is fair, but when my husband retires...there will be no more military discounts. icon_cool.gif

i understand the economy, but the cakes i do for the military are paid by the squadron "government" funds, not by any individual...go figure! icon_confused.gif

thanks for listening! icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

they know it feeds 100 people, but they...for some reason, don't compute that in their heads.

I call it going Math Dumb.

If they are taking 6 people to dinner for the $10 special, they know it will cost them about $60. BUT .....! Tell them they are taking 100 people to dinner for $10 each and the only thing they hear is .......
"A THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" icon_surprised.gif

Math Dumb.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%