Making Wilton House Pan Stand Up?

Decorating By cheatize Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 2:43am by cheatize

cheatize Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 8

Hello! I will be making a bird house using the Wilton house pan this week. Does anyone have any suggestions how to connect 2 of them and make sure they remain standing?
Thanks!

7 replies
bakingatthebeach Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 8

I dont know that pan but I have made a Mickey Mouse head (in my pics) that I used 2 round layers and they stayed together after turning the layers on their side with simple buttercream. I filled and crumb coated the layers then stuck it in the fridge for a bit to settle, then I iced it and stuck it back in the fridge to firm up so I could handle it and flip it onto its side on the sheet cake. The bassinet cake in my pics is also a 2 layer 10 in cut in half and flipped on its side, held together with buttercream.

DianeLM Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 8

I've done it several times. In fact, I prefer 2 houses back to back for stability.

First, make sure to level the backs and bottoms of each cake evenly. Glue the two cakes together with buttercream.

I prefer to drive a sharpened dowel through each side of the house into the base board just to be safe. All of my cakes have to be transported, so I'd rather err on the side of caution.

If you're going to place the birdhouse on top of another cake, be sure to put the birdhouse on it's own board and dowel underneath.

cheatize Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 8

No. no cake underneath. That's part of my problem picturing how to dowel it. So you drive the dowels into the board, but not all the way through the board. Is that correct?

pattycakesnj Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 8

I have done 2 Wilton house pans back to back and had a few issues with just BC holding them. I actually drove a dowel front to back, horizontally thru cake (I left the front part out and used it as a flag pole, went with my theme but you can push it all the way so nothing is showing) then drove 2 dowels down thru cake to drum below, (one thru each cake) then my friend drove it home 30 minutes with no problem. Good luck and HTH

cheatize Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:42am
post #6 of 8

I wondered if I should dowel horizontally. It won't be a very thick dowel (think skewer sized), but their will be a dowel perch for a bird on the front of the house. I was just going to make it long enough for the perch, but I think I'll stick the skewer all the way through now. If I feel it's needed, I'll add one or two more. Thanks for that idea. It's terrific!

DianeLM Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 8

I use one or two layers of 1/2-inch foamcore as my base board. I just hammer the dowel until it stops.

I've never needed to dowel horizontally, but if it makes you feel better, go for it. icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:43am
post #8 of 8

I'm filling and crumbcoating tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice and wish me luck because it's going to rain buckets here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%