Help! How Far Ahead?

Decorating By mememalasia Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm by shelbur10

mememalasia Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 3

Okay I suddenly am not sure what to do. My son's birthday party is on Saturday. I am planning on making a two tier Mario bros cake with buttercream and fondant accent. How far ahead can I make this cake. I am off work on Wednesday. Problem is my husban is having surgery Thursday and I work until 8pm on Friday. Scheduling has suddenly become a huge problem. I am willing to stay up all night to finish of corse but would rather not. I will at least bake the cakes Wednesday. Any other ideas? THANKS ahead of time!

2 replies
cylstrial Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 3

That sounds like it's going to be a little rough. Bake the cake on Wednesday. I have heard that people have been having success cutting out the pieces of fondant that they are going to use and then covering them with saran wrap and then putting them in a ziplock bag. supposedly, they are still pliable enough to put on the cake a few days later. So maybe you could do that as well. Hopefully other people will have some ideas to help you out too.

shelbur10 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 3

Yes, absolutely bake Wed. You can make the fondant accents as soon as today. If you want them soft, cover them or seal in an airtight container, like PP suggested. If you want them to harden, no problem, just leave them out, lightly covered with a paper towel or waxed paper. You can also make and color your buttercream on Wednesday, just stick it in the fridge until you need it. Prep your cake boards and organize your frosting bags and tips and everything else you will need, so it's all ready to go. I've found that if I can get all that prepwork done ahead of time, it takes no time at all to slap the cake together. I did a Mario cake for my son a few years ago (BC with fondant accents) just a few days after I had back surgery. I had made all the accents in advance, then just frosted the cake and plopped them all on. Good luck, I can't wait to see it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%