Pricing Help Please, Asap

Decorating By yummy Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm by yummy

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 10

I have to get back to a customer on the price of 20 cupcakes and a 2 layer 9x13 thomas the train cake (fbct, fondant accents) How many people does a 9x13 feed; how much would you charge for this? I might need to upgrade to a 12" square w/the 20 cupcakes. How many people does a 12" square feed and how much would you charge. I need opinions ASAP. TIA

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 10

the good thing about square and rectangle cakes is you can do the math to determine servings.

single layer 9x13, when cut in standard 2x2" pieces, means you will cut the cake into approx 4 rows by 6 columns = 24 servings.

double layer 9x13, when cut in standard 1x2x4 pieces, means you will cut the cake into approx 9 rows by 6 columns = 54 servings. (however, allowing for some baking shrinkage, I always figure 8 rows by 6 columns = 48 servings.)

single layer 12" square, when cut in 2x2x2" means you will cut the cake in 6 rows by 6 columns = 36 servings.

double layer 12" square, when cut in standard 1x2x4", means you will cut the cake in 12 rows by 6 columns = 72 servings.

yummy Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks Indydebi. Do you have any suggestiions on what to charge (I'm still not good at pricing yet). The customer is awaiting my call. For your bc recipe can I use shortening with transfat in it or not.

post #4 of 10

Thanks Indydebi. Do you have any suggestiions on what to charge (I'm still not good at pricing yet). The customer is awaiting my call. For your bc recipe can I use shortening with transfat in it or not.

post #5 of 10

post #6 of 10

post #7 of 10

yummy Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 10

WTH! I finished typing my response and hit submit. When I got back to the cd page I seen that I had 6 responses. I thought that they all came in while I was typing. They're all mine. I did not post the same response 5 times. Sorry

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 10

Are you sure you're not trying to get your post count up? icon_lol.gif LOL!!

For the cake, what do you normally charge per serving? I'd go with that.

For the cupcakes depending on the design, for simple buttercream iced cupcakes I charge $1.50 to $1.75 each. That would be for just a BC swirl on top, no figures or anything.

yummy Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 10

If I did post multiple times for attention it sure did work. lol Like I said I'm not good on pricing but the $1.50 for bc swirl on top sounds about right to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%