Expert Opinions On Possible Hobart Purchse

Business By Loucinda Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 4:29pm by Loucinda

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 16

I have the option of buying a Hobart 20 qt. mixer right now. Right now I do about 2 weddings a month - so I don't have the volume to justify it BUT I am hoping my business will grow and in a year or 2 I WILL have the need for it.

My question is - should I go ahead and get it now (great deal) or wait until I really need it?

I am a home based baker here - but I have a 27x15 kitchen so room is not an issue. (AND my business is a legal one - no flying under the radar)

15 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 16

If it's a great deal and you have the funds to spare, by all means, get it! Use a smaller one until the use of the larger one is needed. At least you'll have it and have gotten a great deal on it too. Should you decide later that this isn't something you wish to pursue further, the mixer can surely be sold.

Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks Allforcake - I just edited my post to add that my business is also legal, just in case anyone had a issue with my "home based" statement. We added on and remodeld my kitchen to make it so I could do my cake business out of it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 16

I bought a 20 quart a couple of years ago, at an auction. I paid $225 for it. I use it more to make dough than I do cake, but heck, it beats kneading 20 pounds of bread or pierogie dough by hand!

Definitely get it, while the price is right. Make sure it works, the wiring is good, all the parts are there, and that all 4 bolts that hold the head onto the stand are there. I was missing 2, and they were a bite to replace.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks - I went and looked at it - I didn't check the bolts, but I am sure they are there! It comes with several pieces (bowls, etc.) and a stand. I am definately leaning towards getting it as the day goes on here......

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 16

I'll be honest... I think you would be better off spending your money on a smaller mixer and investing in a bigger oven. I do quite a bit more volume than you do and I just have smaller mixers. I could justify a 10 qt for batter and a 20qt for icing, but the thing I wish I had the most is a bigger commercial grade oven. You can get an oven for about the same amount you can get a 20qt mixer.

I just never make anything close to 20 qts of the same batter. Unless it was a KILLER deal... I'd pass for now.

Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 16

I already have the oven part taken care of! That was purchased when the kitchen was redone! (but thanks!)

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 16

Well then if it's a good deal I'd go for it. I wouldn't expect to use it often for batter... even as you get busier. icon_smile.gif I don't think I'll ever use a 20qt for batter, but I almost never have a big cake that is all the same flavor. Now for icing... a 20 qt would be wonderful. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 16

That is probably the main reason for getting it - I made 4 of the 6 qt. recipes of Sugarshack's frosting one after the other on Friday - and if I had this beast, it would have been done in one shot......which would be a HUGE time saver.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 16

Just an FYI, I had to take mine out of the kitchen and put it in the greenhouse (concrete floor) because it shook the rafters when I ran it! I bet it would wake the entire family in a ranch home. icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:05pm
post #11 of 16

I think you should get it , because it is much more convenient than a smaller one, you may not use that much batter, (one never knows) but I know you will have more convenience, and more room to work with those are the ones we use in school, But you have to stop often and scrape the bottom, you will need a long spatula, because the whip or paddle does not get the stuff in the bottom,

but this is JMO

Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks for those heads ups!! One never thinks of their mixer shaking the house!! icon_lol.gif I know I can get the spatulas at the Restaurant Supply in Columbus - that isn't a problem - you all are great! (I may even get a couple of those thrown into the deal if I ask)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 16

You should be able to adjust it to hit the bottom better.

I vote yes yes yes!!! icon_biggrin.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #14 of 16

get it...

i couldn't do business like i do without my 30 qt.

if it's a good deal, and you find you don't want it...which i seriously doubt....it will be easy as pie to resell...perhaps at a profit.

it would be next to impossible to do much business with just a kitchenaid.

i bought one for my son off ebay last week.....and a 30 quart.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 16

Sorry to hijack, but your post reminded me of my daughter. This Saturday we went to a restaurant supply. There was a giant mixer on the floor, I don't know the size, but it was almost as big as her. Anyway she got very excited and said "Mommy, you can buy THIS mixer!!" I told her I don't make enough cakes (just a hobbiest), then she saw the price and said "Oh, well and you don't have $7999 to pay for it either!" Sorry, I just thought that was really cute.

Enjoy your new mixer if you get it!

Loucinda Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 16

Well thank you all for your input, I decided to go ahead and go for it. I am supposed to pick it up on Wednesday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%