Is There Money Is Cookies?

Baking By imamommy1205 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 3:17am by traceyjade

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 6

I do cakes and cookies, and while my cakes are ok...even good...they arent great, however my cookies are lol. They look great and they taste great. I tend to get a lot more stressed about cakes. Maybe bc they take so much work and I am never happy with myself...even if everyone else is. I am happy with the result when I make cookies usually. My husband says I should reserve cakesfor only a hobby and try to make money with the cookies. I just dont feel like cookies will sell like cakes ya know. I do this from home, not a business, but when a friend of a friend wants a cake, I have to make some money for it. I just dont think people are gonna order oogles of cookies from me. I dont feel like there is any money in it. I am gonna chill with the cakes for a while until I get better and feel like my cakes are worth the money I have to charge for the time and ingredients. I am just wondering what you all think. Is there money is cookies?

5 replies
toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #2 of 6

Depends on where you live. I am in a rural area and don't get too many calls for cookies. But honestly, I don't market my self real well either. So hopefully others will help you with this.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:40am
post #3 of 6

Cookies are a great favor idea...maybe market them along with the cakes? I've had people ask me for just cookies for parties, too...I think it depends on your price point - are you charging what you should be charging? (I think the standard is about $1/inch? Anyone else know for sure?) Mrs. Field's seems to be doing ok on the cookie front...why not you? icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:26am
post #4 of 6

You say do this from home, not as a business, so I'm assuming you're an under-the-radar baker, which will limit your volume and how much advertising you can do.

No, you won't make a mint on the onesy-twosy orders. You'd have to have a really good daily or weekly volume order to make "more" money. (i.e. I had a car dealership that had a standing order for 300 cookies a day). And with limited capacity and limited advertising ability, that's going to be hard.

Quote:
Quote:

I do this from home, not a business, but when a friend of a friend wants a cake, I have to make some money for it.

I assume you have to make money on the cookies, too, right? icon_confused.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #5 of 6

I've sold cookies mostly to friends and friends of friends. I've been charging $1/inch (using the longest measurement of the cookie). I know others here do $1-1.50. Frankly, it's not worth it to me to do 6, 12, 18 cookies. For the time it takes to make the icings etc, it's more hassel than it's worth. I've had several orders for 80 and 100 cookies and that seems more worthwhile to me so long as the design it's hugely complex. Once the icings are done and the cookies are baked, it becomes an assembly line and banging out an extra 20 or more is no big deal.

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 6

What do you mean your cakes are "okay"! Your cakes are amazing, I was expecting to see plain cakes and you have gumpaste shoes carved cakes ect. I say do both it doesn't look like you need any practice...just more confidence! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%