Waterfall Technique...help!

Decorating By maddiseeyore Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm by pattigunter

maddiseeyore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddiseeyore Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 15

I need to make a waterfall today (ugh! a last minute addition!) out of royal icing on a mountain cake. I love the way cakesbyAnh did hers, and see many of you have used her technique. Can anyone tell me how to do this? The waterfall looks like white water with hints of blue in it. Any help would be so appreciated!

14 replies
maddiseeyore Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 15

any one? any ideas? help!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 15

how many teirs is it?

For my water fall, i started in the middle, and slowly worked my way up to the top. So then you get some nice ripples icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 15

I use regular bc and lay down a white base. Then I cover in a VERY thin coat of blue piping gel and use the spatula to make waves and whitecaps.

maddiseeyore Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 15

Thank you for your reply! The cake it two tall tiers. From the pictures I've looked at, I like the ones done in royal icing the best and it is white with hints of blue in it (so it looks like rushing whitewater). How did you get the flow of icing? Did you use a piping bag and tip? If so, what one? I'm having a brain blip and just can't seem to picture how to get the effect that I want! I'll add a link from the gallery of the type of waterfall I'm looking for....any suggestions on the actual piping/spreading of the icing would be great!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=492843

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 15

You can just spatula that on. Very free form. I wouldn't use royal, personally, because - well can you imagine trying to cut it?

maddiseeyore Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 15

hmmm....cutting through think royal icing; yeah, could be problematic! Good point.

motherofgrace Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 15

I made is " flood" consistancy. It cut perfectly fine lol. I would use the tip ( sorry dont know the number) made for making balls.

and then for the "pooling" I would just use a spatcala.

I looked at what your using as a ref. And i would say use a little thinker then flooding consistancy and just do it little by little, sqeeze and dry sqeeze and dry, until it gets the look you want. I hop that helps

maddiseeyore Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks Cake Diva; what kind of icing are you referring to? It's so hot here that I think my brain has shut down!

motherofgrace Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 15

I used royal icing icon_smile.gif I really hope it works out for you!

maddiseeyore Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:00pm
post #11 of 15

THanks again Cake Diva, now if you were doing it in Royal, how would you add the blue? Any thoughts?
Any other feedback anyone?

motherofgrace Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 15

im not sure, mine was all blue..... maybe fill 2 piping bags, one white one blue and alternate??? im not sure tho sorry!

maddiseeyore Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:23am
post #13 of 15

Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #14 of 15

I did the blue first, kind of a base coat. Then when it had dried a little, another blue coat using piping bag with a 6 tip but let it run down so you have a texture. Then when that had dried a little, accent with white RI. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1366020

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #15 of 15

I have a beach themed wedding cake in my pictures. I used a blue buttercream base and blue piping gel on top. It worked fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%