Would You Sponsor A Wedding?

Lounge By playingwithsugar Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 3:33am by julia77

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 15

This article appeared in our local newspaper today. I am wondering if anyone has done this, and if it has generated any business for you.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_5wedding.6921010jun14,0,2703073.story

Theresa icon_smile.gif

14 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 15

I have heard of these types of weddings and to me...it says..."I want a nice wedding but I want others to pay for it" I believe Starr Jones used this concept when she had a Lavish wedding a few years ago to her husband in which she has since divorced.I remember reading how many family members and other celebrities felt it was very inapprpriate and shall we say...Cheesy! I understand that it may be a good thing all around but I would never in a million years ask businesses to basically give me something for free to promote their business...But that is just me!!! If a bride came to me and asked me to participate in such a deal...I would say no!!

indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 15

I believe the term "Hell no!" comes into play for me on this one!

The same people will see/eat my cake/food whether it's paid for or donated.

Here's the bartering deal I'll make for them: THey pay the rent and utilities on my shop and I'll make their cake for free.

But it would probably be cheaper for them to just buy the dang cake!

en-passant Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 15

Good grief. That is so tacky.

Why doesn't anyone ever explain to these couples that the best way of keeping costs down is to invite fewer people and make a realistic budget?

KoryAK Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 15

eeeeff no!

so so tacky. I guess if you don't ask the answer is always no, but how low can these brides sink?

The other thing that IDK if the brides consider is that if all of your wedding vendors are new to the industry (likely for vendors who would think they could benefit from an idea like this) how awesome is your wedding gonna be? Out of 10 brand newbie vendors, I think it's pretty likely that ONE of them is totally going to bomb the services (think tilted cake or dead flowers or overcooked chicken).

At least most of the article comments echo our reasonable sentiments. Did you notice where they spent the saved money elsewhere? So it's not like they didn't have the extra cash in the first place. Hope they at least TIP!

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:30am
post #6 of 15

I agree that it is totally tacky! But I also think that it is kinda callous to pare the guest list down to nothing and have a gorgeous wedding and reception to celebrate with your 12 closest friends. When I got married last year we had a very tight budget. We spent $1000 on a wedding with 130 guests! That includes everything! We didn't plan our honeymoon until we opened all our cards! We had delicious food, beautiful decorations, and a fun dj. I admit some of the services were free, but I didn't solicit them!! And we would have made due without them![/b]

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #7 of 15

Forgot to add that I sorta do this all the time. I work out of my home for friends and family, and if i learn that someone i know is going to walmart for a sheet cake I tell I'll do it for what they were gonna spend on sheet cake if they pass out my cards. I will sometimes even cut the cake and leave a nice stack of 'em right there on the table! Brides don't care most just want a beautiful cake! I get orders from people at the wedding, sometimes right away and sometimes a year later.

indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by annacakes79

But I also think that it is kinda callous to pare the guest list down to nothing and have a gorgeous wedding and reception to celebrate with your 12 closest friends.

I guess it depends on what's important to you. If these 12 people are the most important people in your life and you want to have an intimate celebration with just them, and that enables you to entertain them with a very nice reception, what's wrong with that? Why is that "callous"? When did it become unacceptable to have a party that you can afford?

My smaller weddings are sometimes bigger invoices for me than the big weddings. Because since they are paying for fewer people, they can afford to get the nicer dinner and add the chocolate fountain, and get those little extra touches .... things they couldnt' afford to do for a large crowd.

It depends on what's important to you.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #9 of 15

No, I'd never sponsor a wedding. If I wanted to donate a cake or service it would be at the spaghetti dinners/auctions that police, firefighters, Kiwanis Clubs, VFW and other groups host as fundraisers every year.

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:25am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by annacakes79

But I also think that it is kinda callous to pare the guest list down to nothing and have a gorgeous wedding and reception to celebrate with your 12 closest friends.

I guess it depends on what's important to you. If these 12 people are the most important people in your life and you want to have an intimate celebration with just them, and that enables you to entertain them with a very nice reception, what's wrong with that? Why is that "callous"? When did it become unacceptable to have a party that you can afford?

My smaller weddings are sometimes bigger invoices for me than the big weddings. Because since they are paying for fewer people, they can afford to get the nicer dinner and add the chocolate fountain, and get those little extra touches .... things they couldnt' afford to do for a large crowd.

It depends on what's important to you.

I didn't mean it like that! I just think that it is rude not to invite family and friends that you normally would invite, so you can have the lobster. I would rather have my loved ones there and have the chicken. I guess pretties and material items are the most important thing to most people, but I think it's sad.

My uncle stopped by on Easter and mentioned how my aunt ( his older sister) announced that she had gotten married. He was really hurt by the fact he was not invited, and he would have had to drive 600 miles to get there, with 4 kids. I think you should also take other people's feelings into account.

I've also had a bride that told her groom that the guests had better give them enough to cover the cost of the wedding cake and catering. I agree totally that you should only buy what you can afford, that's why i have never used a credit card.

indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:39am
post #11 of 15

Oh, I get ya now and understand what you mean! thumbs_up.gif

The guests "better" give them enough to cover the cost of cake and catering? Uh-oh!! This is why we get paid in advance, huh? And when the bride comes back and tries to get a phony refund, we'll all know the guests didn't come thru! icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #12 of 15

Sure, I'll sponser a wedding...when my kids get married!!!

I've known people before who asked for donations from their wedding guests...for example, "Oh, Peter and I are getting married in the fall. We're asking everyone for a $10 donation so we can throw a really awesome party for our wedding." Of course some of them do that and then they don't really ever have the wedding, or they announce that they used the money to elope.

julia77 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:06am
post #13 of 15

Celebrities get freebies all the time, and in return the freebie giver gets advertising.....

I don't really see a problem with it.

If I was a guest, I don't care if the bride paid for the cake or not, so long as I get a piece of it hahaha (wouldn't even care if there was a business card sticking out of the cake) icon_biggrin.gif

If I was asked to provide a wedding cake in return for advertising, I'd consider it.

EDIT TO ADD - if a couple felt I was special enough to them to invite me to their wedding, it would not worry me one bit how they went about providing a meal for their guests. If they had no cake, fine. If they had a paid for cake, fine. If they had a cake donated in return for advertising, fine. This is their celebration, and I am there to celebrate with them, not to criticise them for how they managed to provide the cake. Each to their own. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:26am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia77

Celebrities get freebies all the time, and in return the freebie giver gets advertising.....

Try paying your rent with that.

And it may be something of an influence to say that Tom Cruise had a Debi cake, so everyone wants whatever the lastest celebrity has endorsed. But Sally Sue down the road had a Debi cake and everyone says, "yeah....so?"

Quote:

If I was asked to provide a wedding cake in return for advertising, I'd consider it.

.....because the only advertising you "really" get is the "Oh call Debi! She does cakes for free!"

Again ... try paying your rent with that.

julia77 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Try paying your rent with that.

And it may be something of an influence to say that Tom Cruise had a Debi cake, so everyone wants whatever the lastest celebrity has endorsed. But Sally Sue down the road had a Debi cake and everyone says, "yeah....so?"

Quote:

.....because the only advertising you "really" get is the "Oh call Debi! She does cakes for free!"

Again ... try paying your rent with that.

As I said, to each their own. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%