Scraper Tool

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 12:13pm by jdelaney81

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 9

I saw at Michaels tool, which I am not sure if this is the right tool to purchase. It looks exactly like the cake scraper, which I saw bakers are using for smoothing the icing of the sides of the cake. You just hold it strait and turn your turntable. But this tool at Michaels has sharp edges, and it calls chopper.... Does your scraper has sharp edge too? Is it the same tool??? Looks like big flat metal with a handle, and is about 5 inches wide.

8 replies
jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 9

Here's a bump for you because I was wondering too. I even went to Lowe's in search of one, but when I asked they just looked at me like I was an idiot.

ZlatkaT Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 9

This is the tool I was talking about. It has very sharp edge.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BO76BK/?tag=cakecentral-20

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 9

Well I'm no expert, but I use that to smooth my icing, and it works really well. I also have an array or spackling tools purchased from the hardware store that work as well. My philosophy is, if it works for you, then do it! icon_smile.gif

ZlatkaT Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 9

I actually almost purchased this tool, but then I asked one of the workers at Michaels, and she told me, that his tool is for chopping and cleaning surface, so I put it back in the shelf. But when I saw Edna's video at you-tube, she uses tool that looks like that. The result of smoothing the cake sides are great. But I am not sure of the sharp edges of the tool. I hope Edna would see this post.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 9

The Wilton tool is just a pumped up bench scraper--just like any other bench scraper used smooth a cake.
It can be used on a cutting board to chop things up. In the case of cake, that would possibly be chocolate or nuts.
It's extra fancy because it has a well in the handle so that you can scoop up stuff and drop it where you need it. It's also alot more expensive than the plainer ones.
I use a plain metal bench scraper with a rolled handle. It sits nice and flat to the counter, turntable, or cake board. It's easy to hold at an angle to the surface of the icing.
The most important feature for me is that no portion of the handle extend below the edge of the blade. If the handle extends below the blade, it can cause the scraper to "jump" when smoothing, leaving bumps in the icing.

The lady at Michael's doesn't know her stuff. If you can't find a cheaper, plainer one, this bench scraper will work just fine for smoothing icing,

Rae

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 9

I agree with Rae, I have the Wilton scraper, and it's hard to smooth the side of a cake because the yellow plastic on the handle does not allow it to sit absolutely flat against the bottom of the cake board. I went to Walmart and got one that does sit flat and it works much better.

ZlatkaT Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 9

Oh, thank you everyone for the valuable information!!

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:13pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

I agree with Rae, I have the Wilton scraper, and it's hard to smooth the side of a cake because the yellow plastic on the handle does not allow it to sit absolutely flat against the bottom of the cake board. I went to Walmart and got one that does sit flat and it works much better.

Where in Wal-Mart did you find it? I must just be looking in the wrong sopt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%