Opinions Please

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 10:36am by Evoir

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 19

I'm making a wedding cake for a friend. She likes fun, modern designs but the groom wants a traditional, all-white look. She wants a monogram but other than that, she hasn't given me any input other than to tell me she trusts my taste icon_rolleyes.gif

So this is my practice tier, with topper. The cake will be 7, 10 and 14 inch rounds with a monogram on the middle tier. I'm planning to do the same design on all of the tiers, leaving space for the monogram, and I'll make some more flower sprays too.

Do you think it looks all right? I haven't shown it to the bride yet, wanted to get some input before I do (since she hasn't given me any input at all). There's not really a border, that's a reflection from the silver plate it's sitting on.
LL

18 replies
LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 19

I think it looks great. You combined the modern the brde likes with the all white the groom likes. IIt will look awesome once all the tiers are all put together. thumbs_up.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 19

I love it. Elegant with a slightly modern twist. I think they'll be impressed.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 19

Oh, I think it's absolutely gorgeous!!!! thumbs_up.gif

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 19

The cake is pretty, the flowers look like they are too much or should I say too big for the cake. I would show this picture to the bride and the groom and get there opinion. HTH

Kat

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 19

I agree with all, I think it looks like you really thought about the compromise.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 19

I love the pearly white on white and the design plan sounds great, the flowers are beautiful. Are they going anywhere else or just on the topper? I agree I think the topper is too big for that size tier (whatever size your sample is) also I can see styrofoam so I think you need more filler flowers, leaves whatever.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I'm making a wedding cake for a friend. She likes fun, modern designs but the groom wants a traditional, all-white look. She wants a monogram but other than that, she hasn't given me any input other than to tell me she trusts my taste icon_rolleyes.gif

So this is my practice tier, with topper. The cake will be 7, 10 and 14 inch rounds with a monogram on the middle tier. I'm planning to do the same design on all of the tiers, leaving space for the monogram, and I'll make some more flower sprays too.

Do you think it looks all right? I haven't shown it to the bride yet, wanted to get some input before I do (since she hasn't given me any input at all). There's not really a border, that's a reflection from the silver plate it's sitting on.

I could not love that side design more--it's stun. ning.

Did she give you the topper dealio with the scroll work on it? I'm not crazy about that part of it. Flowers yes--the dealio not so much--if she didn't give it to you--could you paint it and luster dust it down to white?

And if she trusts you--I would not submit anything for approval--just run with it is how I like to operate. icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 19

It's actually tulle that's showing rather than styrofoam, the styrofoam I used in the topper was an itty bitty green block...the bride's design scheme is big white roses and miles and miles of white tulle...she's getting married in her back yard and they didn't even know the wedding date until a week ago.

The topper is going to be about the same diameter as the top tier...she likes that style, the few ideas she showed me were from Wildflowers by Lori. I was afraid to make the flowers really overhang the base because I thought it would want to tip over off of the cake.

I'm going to put some flowers around the base of the cake, and it's going on a silver plateau.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 19

Ok, I just went to her site and her flowers and cakes are gorgeous. I noticed that none of her cakes show any type of topper "dish" just lots and lots of flowers. I think your should definitely spill out more and drape down. Your flowers are gorgeous by the way. I like that the cake plate will be silver it ties it in and I think the tulle should be more fluffy not packed in, if that makes sense.JMO.

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Did she give you the topper dealio with the scroll work on it? I'm not crazy about that part of it. Flowers yes--the dealio not so much--if she didn't give it to you--could you paint it and luster dust it down to white?

She didn't give it to me, but she'd seen me use it before and asked if I still had it. My kids like it on their birthday cakes as a crown icon_biggrin.gif I will probably make the monogram on the cake silver, and that will go with the plateau and silver part of the topper.

If I come across something better, I might switch...but here's a question, if anyone happens to know...when you're using a bunch of heavy flowers and a small base, probably plastic because that's what I've mostly seen so far, how do you keep the flowers from tipping over? I'm usually good at figuring out construction of things but that was part of the appeal of the silver thing, it weighs a ton and keeps the flowers from being top heavy.

Now that I'm thinking about it, a crystal dish might work as well...maybe the bottom half of a candy dish.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 19

Crystal would be pretty heavy too.

It doesn't look silver in the picture--silver would be killer I think with a silver monogram & plateau. Very cool.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 19

Here's a picture of a cake I did where I made the topper.. I cut a styrofoam ball in half and stuck the flowers in that. It worked great. I believe the top tier was a 6" cake and I used the pan to help keep the size of the topper in check.

I made the Queen Anne's lace for the filler... I taped some wires in bunches (this took the longest time)..First, I dipped the tips of the wires into piping gel and then I diped them into tapioca. Instant filler flower!!
LL

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 19

I really like that! Is that all paste and punch flowers, or are the leaves/blades piped?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:54pm
post #15 of 19

I really like the leaves/grass on the side. It looks amazing! I can't wait to hear what the bride says about your design!

wcarrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wcarrick Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:14pm
post #16 of 19

Both cakes are very pretty but I agree with some of the others that the flowers are almost overtaking the cakes. I guess it really depends on the brides taste but it seems like the cake itself should be what draws your eye. Just my thoughts.

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I really like that! Is that all paste and punch flowers, or are the leaves/blades piped?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

The leaves were cut with a pastry scraper. A pizza wheel works too but the scraper seems to make smoother edges. It's really easy and pretty quick icon_biggrin.gif I did it on some cupcakes before, except in color, and I've been wanting to try it on a cake ever since. The tiny flowers on the cake were cut out with a scrapbooking punch.

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:52am
post #18 of 19

That is beautiful, I think the bride will love it!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:36am
post #19 of 19

I think the diameter of the flower arrangement looks great, just the height of the flowers+crown 'dealio' is a a bit out of proportion with the tier size.

In my pix is a 2-tier engagement cake with GP roses, peonies, tortured willow and leaves arranged on top. I do this kind of arrangement by sticking the wires directly into a flattish round mound of fondant, OFF the cake, then lifting the whole thing onto the cake (sticking the mound onto the top of the tier with a dab of RI) when I am happy with the overall arrangement.

Your work is beautiful, btw...I think the bride will be thrilled!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%