What Is The Total Investment For Wilon I

Decorating By CABBYJ Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 6:16pm by cylstrial

CABBYJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CABBYJ Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:30am
post #1 of 10

Hello, my local Michaels offers class I for $25, but I hear people say that they require that you buy only the Wilton supplies. If anyone has taken this course please let me know. Also what all is taught?

9 replies
en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:37am
post #2 of 10

Why don't you contact that particular store and ask them?

CABBYJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CABBYJ Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:49am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by en-passant

Why don't you contact that particular store and ask them?

Didn't think about that.

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:51am
post #4 of 10

icon_smile.gif

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 10

cabbyj, I'm a wilton instructor (9 years), July's promotion (I guess depending on where you live?) there is a $10 "bounce in" coupon, which is $10 off the sale price of the 4 week class. Not sure in your area. I am in Virginia Beach. To get you thru the entire course 1 all you need is a Course 1 student kit, around $25. I always ask my students to purchase the angled spatula, a turntble and some extra tips. I also like the 8 inch by 3 inch deep pan. There are tons of other supplies you can purchase, most of my students purchase the HUGE $150 kit, comes with TONS of stuff. However, if you do purchase any of the kits they will only get you thru course 1, some students think the large kit will get them thru ALL 4 courses - NOT TRUE! You will still need to purchase the other kits as you take the courses. Course 1 is the only kit covered in all tool kits.

Did that help?

ginger

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 10

oops, forgot to mention what is taught. The first night you come to class with NO supplies. We show and tell you your options to purchase. I show how to make your buttercream icing (I give my own recipe for the icing and my cake recipe). No pressure to buy anything on that night, most students make large purchases b/c you get 10% off your entire purchase throughout the 4 week course, just tell the front end people you are in the wilton class.

What is taught - how to ice a cake, basics like how to write on a cake, the wilton rose, the shell border, bead borders, drop flowers, hearts, piped figures like the bear and people. EACH week you bring in a cake already iced from home and you decorate it in class. It's such a fun class to take especially with friends or family. I have 8 year olds that take the class with their moms.

HTH!

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 10

I am taking the Wilton level one course right now and there are some additional costs, but they are not all that bad. The course I took was a little more than the Michaels course, but it included the Wilton course materials all I have had to buy is the supplies to make icing, some colours, a few more piping bags, and any other supplies I wanted. I am in Canada but the cost for the Wilton kit is $40 up here

I will try to break it down
Course - $27
Kit - $40 there might be an additionall fee for the instruction book
Icing colours 6@$2 each - $12
Piping Gel - $3.50
Meringue powder - $8.50
Additional piping bags - $2
Couplers - $2.50
Icing ingredients $5
Cake board $1.5

TOTAL (if I had taken the class at Michaels - $102 Canadian

plus I also bought a new cake pan for the cake you make and bring to class

Hope this helps

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 10

Wow, it is expensive at your area. Here the lessons are about $17, kits about $20. Additionally I spent about $30. I used coupons as much as I could. I went through all 4 classes, and every time I needed to purchase more and more supplies. Now I got the basic what baker need. The classes were very helpful for me, and I did not mind to spent the money. I still slowly buying supplies from Michaels, there is so much what I need for baking. Sign for Michaels as member, and you will get coupons.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 10

I am Canadian as well and a new WMI for the Bulk Barn. Not all BB's offer the classes but it's worth checking. Their prices on supplies are cheaper and you don't have to play games with coupons. I am asking my students to buy the kit (you don't have to), parchment bags, piping gel and meringue powder. They'll need a few colours and probably a large spatula. The book comes with the class. And July is Friends of Cake month and my students will receive a free tote bag at the last class.

Once you have these things then you have the basics to make cakes for a long time. If you like cake decorating then you'll want to buy more things and take more classes.

I agree that this is a great family class and that some children would have fun and do really well at it. icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 10

Yeah, I always used the 40% of 50% coupons to buy the kits. It makes it so much more affordable. And I only paid full price for the first class. After that, every single class had a coupon to save money on the class itself. Personally, I think the classes are worth it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%