9 Hours Later....tell Me What You Think Please!

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm by playingwithsugar

patticakesnc Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:35am
post #1 of 19

Ok, yes I am fishing for compliments I guess. Everyone is asleep and I just finished this cake. Took me 9 hours with baking and all. Is for my daughters graduation party tomorrow.

This is my first 3 tier stacked cake, first mixed shape cake, and first zebra stripes.

So what do ya think! I think I like it although I can see many many many flaws, but overall I am happy.
LL

18 replies
en-passant Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:40am
post #2 of 19

Cute design, the colors are nice (love the zebra stripes) and the shapes workwell together, but the flowers are way to large and there are too many of them.

I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled! I would have loved a cake like that when I graduated.

umgrzfn Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:42am
post #3 of 19

Not everyone is sleeping! icon_biggrin.gif OMG...are those stargazer lilies or whatever they are called????!!!!!!!! If so, can you give me some guidence on them? The cake is BEAUTIFUL!! I couldn't find much in my books or on youtube so I just used my tulip petal cutter, ruffled the edges, made gumpaste balls and flattened them a bit to make forms and glued them together. Now, I'm just waiting for them to dry!! Again, the cake is GREAT!! Fab job!!!!!

Madiken Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:45am
post #4 of 19

It's beautiful! I'm sure she will LOVE it!!

patticakesnc Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:50am
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by en-passant

Cute design, the colors are nice (love the zebra stripes) and the shapes workwell together, but the flowers are way to large and there are too many of them.

I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled! I would have loved a cake like that when I graduated.

Well I was looking for a little encouragement not discouragement but thank you anyway. The thing is I am slap broke and so I had to use just what I has around the house to make the cake, including cutting up one of my favorite flower arrangements to give her the type flower she wanted. I would have rather had them a bit smaller but that is what I had so I had to use them.

umgrzfn : Thanks, but they are artificial. I can't make flowers and didn't have the money to order any right now.

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:32am
post #6 of 19

I love it, it's very dramatic and elegant. I like the big flowers too. (Maybe after the cake is gone you can get some floral tape and put your arrangement back together, almost like having your cake and eating it too, right icon_biggrin.gif )

This is the one that matches her prom dress, right? I think I remember you posting about it a while back, about finding a design to match the dress...if I got mixed up, then never mind...anyhow, I bet your daughter is going to be jumping up and down and screaming when she sees the cake, it's gorgeous.

I keep scrolling back up to look at it again, it's that good!!!

Bunsen Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:45am
post #7 of 19

That is a fantastic cake! I love how bold and fun it is - suits the occasion perfectly.

Congratulations to you and your daughter!

merrywood Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:00am
post #8 of 19

The zebra stripes are very cool! I wish there were fewer flowers just because I'd like to see more of the cake!

Charmaine49 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:19am
post #9 of 19

You go girl!!
This is your "creation" your style of putting together a cake for your daughter and I am sure you are very proud of all your hard work and what you have achieved here.

Your daughter IS going to be super excited when she sees her cake in the morning!!!

Good luck!.........

en-passant Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:52am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Quote:

Well I was looking for a little encouragement not discouragement but thank you anyway.

Whoops, sorry. I read the headline where you asked what we thought.... Please read my post again.,.... the part where I wrote "Cute design, the colors are nice and the shapes work well together. I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled. I would have loved a cake like that when I graduated."

online_annie Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:48am
post #11 of 19

You may be exhausted now, but wait till she wakes up and you hear her scream! I can just imagine the looks on everyones faces when they see your cake. People will be talking and asking around..."OMG who made that cake!!"... "I want that cake!"..."That cake is soo OTT! " She will be sooo excited to tell all her friends...it was HER MOTHER!

Sleep if you can! Enjoy Tomorrow! Be Proud of Today! You did Great!

Cathy26 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:06am
post #12 of 19

lovely cake i love zebra stripes and pink together though i too think there are too many flowers as the cake is too beautiful to be covered up (and thats a compliment not a criticism as its your own work that is the best thing about this cake and not the artificial flowers...have more confidence in your own ability and dont hide it with stuff!!)

patticakesnc Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Quote:

Well I was looking for a little encouragement not discouragement but thank you anyway.

Whoops, sorry. I read the headline where you asked what we thought.... Please read my post again.,.... the part where I wrote "Cute design, the colors are nice and the shapes work well together. I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled. I would have loved a cake like that when I graduated."

I wasn't upset. Maybe I said that wrong. I said Thank you. I was so tired and I apologize if it sounded like I didn't appreciate your comment.

ILE Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 19

the cake is cute i like the design.. the flowers are a little to big maybe less flower .we could have seen more of your great design.. GREAT JOB YOU DID.

THECAKEPLACE Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:49pm
post #15 of 19

Your cake is beautiful, I wish my mom made me a graduation cake like that!!!! It is spectacular and your flowers couldn't get prettier

Franluvsfrosting Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #16 of 19

Very fun! I bet she loved it.

cylstrial Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #17 of 19

Very, very cute!!! I think it looks amazing! And Stargazer lilies are my favorite flower ( in real life). I really need to learn how to make them!

cathyscakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #18 of 19

I think your cake is wonderful. You're daughter will be so pleased and feel so special that her mom took the time to make her such a beautiful cake.

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #19 of 19

One of the things I look for is the centers - stamens, etc, but mostly the color. You nailed those lilies.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%