Mmf Seemed Really Stiff...

Decorating By summmer95 Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 4:06am by kandu001

summmer95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summmer95 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:42am
post #1 of 6

I made MMF for the first time this weekend rather than using Wilton pre-made as I've always done in the past. But it seemed harder to knead and color as it was very stiff and a little more dry than what I'm used to. Did I do something wrong or is this typical of MMF?

After a lot of hard work it ended up ok - and tasted fabulous! Any tips would be appreciated so next time will be easier and quicker!

5 replies
dadawley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadawley Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:51am
post #2 of 6

Hi I use the MMF all the time and when I go to use it the day after I make it, the MMF is always stiff so I just pop it into the microwave for 20-30 seconds and it softens up great. If it gets too hot, don't worry, it is just marsh mallows and it will set back up as soon as it cools for a few minutes. Hope this helps. Denise

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:53am
post #3 of 6

If you used all the icing sugar in the recipe it will be stiff. I only add as much needed, I don't even measure anymore just go by feel. If you color when the marshmellows are in the melted stage before you add the sugar it works great..no kneading. If you only want small amounts of a certain color then only melt a few marshmellows and add icing sugar to the right consistency. I have just started adding a bit of glycerin in mine and seems alot easier to work with. It is great fondant and easy to make...

dadawley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadawley Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:55am
post #4 of 6

Hi I use the MMF all the time and when I go to use it the day after I make it, the MMF is always stiff so I just pop it into the microwave for 20-30 seconds and it softens up great. If it gets too hot, don't worry, it is just marsh mallows and it will set back up as soon as it cools for a few minutes. Hope this helps. Denise

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:04am
post #5 of 6

I make mmf all the time too and I agree with dadawley...put in the micro for a few seconds and it softens righ tup. Also, make sure you use lots of crisco on your hands as you knead it..that helps alot!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #6 of 6

I agree with all posts. I don't measure my PS, I just go by feel. I also micro my MMF, but not for that long. I do in incriments of 10 sec. I don't like it to get too hot or too mushy and sticky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%