Need Your Expert Advise!!! Please

Decorating By 2SimplySweet Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 1:36am by lorrieg

2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:42am
post #1 of 15

I am wondering what is best for baking the 8x3 pans or x2 ? I imagine there is a difference in baking time since the 3in is deeper than the 2 in. What does everyone prefer? Help!!! Thanks in advance.

14 replies
kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 15

I use the x2 pans, since when you stack 2 layers you'll get 4 in. If you use the x3 pans you will get a much taller cake when you are finished. They come with an insert to tell the baking times on them, usually.

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 15

I use both quite regularly. Like Kandu suggests the x2 will give you a nice 4" cake if you are doing a single but I find the x3 perfect if I torte it and use it in a tiered cake.

I find the x3 takes about 10 - 15 min longer to bake and sometimes use a flower nail, especially if it is a heavy batter.

2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 15

I really appreciate your input and advice. I am not sure what look I am aiming for but both your explanations make perfect sense. Thanks again!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #5 of 15

I use both too, depending on what I need to make

kandu001 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #6 of 15

Not that I wouldn't use the x3, I guess I just haven't needed them yet.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:15am
post #7 of 15

It depends on how tall I want the cake to be.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 15

If you are in a hurry, you can take one cake mix and bake it in the 8 x 3, slice through the middle, fill and you have a quick two layer cake.

kandu001 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 15

Love it lorrieg! I never thought of that! Time saving is always a plus!

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 15

I use both, depending. I find I use the 2" ones more, though.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 15

A friend who discontinued the cake side of his biz gave me a set of 3" pans. Wow, I just LUV those little ones (6", 8" ... haven't tried the big ones yet). But yeah .... if you just want to whip up a small cake real fast, these are great!

ANd yes .... logically, they do have to bake longer. YOu might want to reduce the baking temp a little, too. How much longer? I have no idea. I dont' use a timer anymore. I bake things "until they're done".

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 15

I just bake till its done too. I do reduce the temp down to 325.

lorrieg Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #13 of 15

I bake mine at 325 and use those pan wraps (I can't remember the name right now sheesh) or a bain marie. I've used a flower nail as well when I'm baking one cake in the one pan.

Indydebi, when you use the 6 x 3 pans don't grease the sides because the cakes will end up with elephant wrinkles on the sides.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #14 of 15

lorrieg, I've used the 6" and the 8". I greasde-no-flower my pans and they turned out ok. I may do one with no greased sides to see how it turns out and decide which I like better. thanks for the tip.

lorrieg Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:36am
post #15 of 15

indydebi, I wasn't having any trouble with the 6" at first and then all of a sudden they looked like droopy pantyhose. It was my hubby that looked up the solution and by gum it worked! I just ran a knife around the pan before popping it out because a couple of bits looked attached to the sides. It was perfect.

I made the droopy hose on the next ones because I forgot and now I don't forget. I can only eat so many rejects myself. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%