Which Flavors Sound Better?

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm by dhccster

MrsMabe Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a two-tiered cake and I am completely stuck trying to choose between two flavor combinations and would love opinions.

1: First tier is raspberry WASC covered in chocolate ganache and filled with ganache and raspberry (preserves or BC? )
Second tier is original WASC filled with lemon pudding and covered in lemon BC.
Both would then have either MMF or MFF lightly flavored lemon.

2: First tier is cherry WASC with cherry pie filling (cherries chopped small) covered in chocolate ganache.
Second tier is either raspberry WASC with lemon pudding filling and lemon BC or lemon WASC with raspberry filling (preserves or BC?) and covered in raspberry BC.

So, which sounds better? And what would be the best way to achieve my flavors?

8 replies
staceyboots Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 9

i think that both options sound delicious! the raspberry / lemon cake is calling my name though

Tartacadabra Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 9

Raspberry and chocolate is an excellent combination, one of my favourites and exactly one of the most asked filling and combination here.
But cherries and chocolate is also great, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
As for the filling, if you cover the cake in ganache I would just add a layer of raspberry (or cherries) preserves in it and no buttercream, in my opinion it gets to heavy and you already have the chocolate layer on the outside. If you want to add an extra filling, I would just make a thin layer of ganache.

For the other one, same answer icon_wink.gif raspberry and lemon go really well together. I would go for the lemon one with raspberry filling, and I would take a thin layer of preserves and add a layer of SMBC with raspberry flavour to it. I always add the raspberry preserve (sieved) to my BC (the Swiss merengue is really nice) and add a drop of colouring (pink) to it for the visual site icon_wink.gif Also really nice with this combination is a layer of lemon curd and then the raspberry BC.

Good luck in making the choices, but don't worry they all sound delicious!!

Misdawn Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 9

I think the raspberry and chocoalte sounds the best, but that's just my personal taste.

en-passant Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 9

raspberry and chocolate is my most requested flavor combo!

MrsMabe Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you all for your input! I know I stress too much over the small details. I drive my husband nuts pestering him for opinions icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 9

Why not make chocolate raspberry ganache and call it a day? You just warm a couple of spoons of preserves back to liquid (slowly so you don't burn the sugar), then add it to the cream while heating.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 9

Though I love, Love, LOVE! both ideas I think I would go w/your 1st offering.

dhccster Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 9

I would definitely go with the first one. It sounds yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%